See the following link for the case study: xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/22486935/1907636323/.../NewbalanceCSRcase.pdf
You must cite all facts from the case study itself. In addition to citing from the case study, you must also cite at least two other resources.
- Provide a synopsis of the company and the case.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Identify key strengths and weaknesses in each of the following categories:
-> Overall Governance
-> Products and Services
-> Community Support
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses identified; select two to three areas for New Balance to focus on and develop a CSR strategy that is integrated with the business strategy.
- List the key steps for implementing an integrated CSR strategy. Who should be involved? What should the communication plan consist of? What resources are needed? What is the timeline? What are the measures of success? What are other important items to include?
- Summarize the most important elements addressed in this analysis.
One of the key strengths of this organization in respect to overall governance is the fact that this organization has a very strong established command structure in which there is a direct line from which directives can flow from senior management down to lower-level management and staff members. This is very important due to the fact that without such a well-established and rigid chain of command structure then there would be a reduction in the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization in communicating directives and have them carried out by staff members within the organization. Another key strength of this organization in respect to overall governance is the fact that this organization as an effective methodology of departmentalization so that key aspects of product production and development can be completed by those departments that have the greatest level of expertise in those particular areas. This greatly helps to add to the effectiveness and efficiency of this organization and producing its new balance products, as well as increases the quality of the products produced in a short amount of time. The fact that this organization maintains a strong methodology by which to manage the material and supply procurement operations of the organization, is a key strength that ensures that the organization will continuously have supplies that are needed in order to produce its products efficiently and effectively as well. The fact that this organization governs and manages its finances by developing a budget that provides for the accommodation of the financial needs of each and every department in the organization, as well as ensures that all operations take place within these budgetary constraints, helps to ensure that the organization is governed and functions and the most efficient and effective manner possible. A weakness in respect to the overall governance of this organization is the fact that there appears to be communications gap between different operational centers of this organization, which means that directives may not be communicated to overseas locations in the most expeditious manner necessary in order to ensure the efficient operations of those operations centers or facilities. This is an intra-organization communications issue that can have a ...
Business Strategy and Corporate Social Responsibility
Harvard Business Case:
December 17, 2008
F. Warren McFarlan
William C. Kirby
Tracy Yuen Manty
Esquel Group: Integrating Business Strategy and Corporate Social Responsibility
1. How did bringing the different manufacturing activities in-house help Esquel to maintain a high quality of their product and service offerings? What other initiatives did the company take in an effort to maintain high quality of its products and services?
2. Do you think Esquel was right in becoming a vertically integrated company? What do you see as the pros and cons of this strategy for Esquel? In your opinion, what are some of the unique characteristics of Esquel's business that made vertical integration their chosen strategy?View Full Posting Details