The G&E Company is preparing a bid to build the new 50,000 seat Greendale baseball stadium. The construction must start on Monday July 2, 2012, and be completed in time for the start of the 2015 season. A penalty clause of $10,000 per workday of delay beyond May 31, 2015 is written into the contract.
Ben Keith, the president of the company, expressed optimism at obtaining the contract and revealed that the company could net as much as $2 million on the project. He also said if they are successful, the prospects for future projects are quite good since there is a projected renaissance in building classic ball parks with modern luxury boxes.
Technical Details of the Greendale Baseball Stadium
The baseball stadium is an outdoor structure with a retractable roof. The project begins with clearing the site and continues according to the list of activities listed in the attached table.
ID Activity Duration (days) Predecessor Activity(s)
1 Baseball Stadium - -
2 Clear stadium site 70 -
3 Demolish surrounding buildings 30 2
4 Set up construction site 70 3
5 Drive support piling 120 2
6 Pour lower concrete bowl 120 5
7 Pour main concourse concrete 120 3,6
8 Install playing field 90 3,6
9 Construct upper steel bowl 120 3,6
10 Install seats 140 7,9
11 Build luxury boxes 90 7,9
12 Install jumbotron 30 7,9
13 Stadium infrastructure 120 7,9
14 Construct steel canopy 75 10
15 Light installation 30 14
16 Build roof supports 90 6
17 Construct roof 180 16
18 Install roof tracks 90 16
19 Install roof 90 17,18
20 Inspection 20 8,11,13,15,19
For purposes of this case assume the following:
1. The following holidays are observed: January 1, Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November), and December 25.
2. If a holiday falls on a Saturday then Friday will be given as an extra day off, and if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday then Monday will be given as a day off.
3. The construction crew work Monday through Friday.
You have been hired as a consultant to help G&E by applying project management techniques to this project. Prepare a report for G&E that addresses:
1. A visual presentation of the activity relationships through the use of a network diagram. Use MS Project.
2. Identify critical path.
3. Determine the expected length of time required to complete this project.
4. Identify two tasks that might be candidates for overtime work if a reduction in the expected completion time is required.
5. There is a possibility of labor strike by the seat manufacturer's employees. If struck takes place it may last one or two months. What will be the financial and schedule impacts of a 30 working days or 60 working days strike by the seat manufacturer's employees on this project.
In MS Project you need to do the following:
1. Input activity, duration and predecessor
2. Specify start date to July 2, 2012
3. Specify the holidays - what I did is to specify the January 1, Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November), and December 25 from 2012 to 2015 as non-working days by selecting Tools, clicking Change Working Time, and then selecting the date
4. Afterwards, you are now ready to answer the questions
Clear stadium ...
The expert identifies the two tasks that might be candidates for overtime work if a reduction in the expected completion time is required.