2. Analyze the type of staff that your company would need in order to make the manufacturing switch to motorcycles with larger motors.
3. Prepare four (4) team-building strategies for handling the newly formed team. Discuss the manner in which the strategies that you have prepared may positively or negatively affect productivity within the company.
4. Analyze the role of the project manager that this project would require. Examine three (3) characteristics of an effective project manager that are relevant to this particular expansion project. Provide a rationale for the response.
5. Emphasize the importance of identifying critical path on projects and the manner in which one would allocate resources to all of the activities on the critical path.
6. Outline the elements of the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and pricing and costing strategy. Delineate the fundamental ways in which the project in question is composed.
7. Develop the following using designated project management software (e.g., Microsoft Project):
a. Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
b. Gantt chart
c. Assigned Resources
Project Motorcycles (Informational Paper)
- Project organisation essentially allows for a seriatim approach at efficiently handling the varying important stages involved in implementing the project in order to achieve success vis-a-vis the wider objectives of the project sponsor(s), the firm itself, the customers, and the stakeholders.
- Prior to touching upon these varying stages it will be necessary to put the organising backbone in place; it should comprise of the following:
o The project manager
o The project team
o The project board member
o The project assurance team
o Client/customer liaison channels
o Evaluation and reporting process
o Monitoring, planning and control process
- With an organising platform in place it will then be possible to produce a plan which amongst other things will feature:
o Objectives definition - project sponsor should subsequently approve it.
o Work itemisation (breakdown) - Critical path analysis or method can be used. Gantt charts could also be considered.
o Time estimation - Microsoft project software could be utilized.
o Stage prioritisation - Carefully deciding about which of the varying stages takes precedence over another, and those that can run in parallel; network analysis (work breakdown structure system) will be of immense help here.
o The initial project plan - With the requisite information regarding project stages and precedents at hand, a fitting network diagram can be produced showing the interrelatedness and varying links and aggregate time for the project, i.e., completion time. Specifying the start date should subsequently bring about the completion time for the tour motorcycle design, production, test and market launch project.
- Where a careful and thoroughly thought through approach is adopted in designing, producing, testing and distributing via the project management process as narrated in the preceding section - the organising and planning steps - the common problem of risk of failure that afflicts most firms that embarks on working on a project without a plan from an organised platform can be avoided.
- Issues pertaining to employee retraining within the production and marketing department; maintaining a much tighter control on cost and the adequacy of production facility to handle the new scope which is more of a short-term aspect can always be addressed reasonably well in light of management's commitment to ensuring the highest level of customer experience and satisfaction from the new product with a view to achieving its objectives.
- The longer term requirements of producing quality oriented tour motorcycles which could possibly serve as a unique selling product is one that will see the firm producing a viable marketing plan via the marketing department's core skills and competencies just so that it can maintain a firm grip in the highly competitive market place with a view to maintaining a sustainable competitive advantage.
- The need to gain economies in technology, manufacturing and distribution via the successful launch of this new product will go a long way in enhancing sales turnover and profitability level.
- Cost, budgetary constraints, accurate and timely implementation of the project and its varying processes and procedures, and scope (deliverables) are also factors that require attention for the success of the project.
- To ensure minimal disruption to long established production procedures and processes, the firm can consider instituting formal and/or informal meetings with employees or long standing team personnel whose jobs will be affected by the introduction of the new production and marketing process to let them know about the nature of the new product (design) ahead of time; if at all it will lead to the end of some employees' task within the firm, where possible arrangements could be made for their redeployment, or better still via training they could be included with the new teams that will work on the production and marketing of the new tour motorcycle range.
- Having a sturdy work breakdown structure in place to give the project manager and team a clear indication of the varying stages and activities that are involved just so that they can resolutely come to terms with the varying time scale and costs of the varying activities and stages for accurate total time and cost estimation.
- Re-negotiating the purchase price of material inputs with existing suppliers, or where it's economical to do so source new suppliers for new materials to be used for production requirements.
- Acquisition of additional machinery, tools and possibly hiring specialists that will be adept and skilful enough to work on the new product range.
- The democratic style of leadership should be most suitable. The team, particularly those on the shop floor and the marketing department will thrive well in a working environment where the team leader, project leader and manager maintains an effective two-way communications channel where much of what needs to be known about the development and progress of the new design is instantly brought to the fore.
- The project manager should often hold meetings particularly the informal style that will foster a genuine friendly working atmosphere where aspects that would have otherwise been swept under the carpet are brought to the attention of the team leader, or project leader or manager for the success of the project. The informal nature of the meetings should, as a matter of confidentiality, be within the bounds of the firm, e.g., meeting up at the company's cafeteria, bar or canteen.
- Effective reporting and risk analysis - via precise, clear and accurate documentation
- Ensure that the product is test marketed thoroughly prior to going for a national launch; shortcomings from the test's feedback about the product can be seen to immediately via the research and development department for prompt modification or adjustment.
- Maintaining a robust and effective two-way communications channel between the firm's project team, customers and stakeholders.
The above approaches are expedient mainly because uncertainty about whether or not the project would be successful will be reduced to an appreciable level. In addition everyone involved with the project will have a clear understanding of I) what the project is all about; and ii) where the new product and the firm are heading for at any point in time in relation to the wider objectives. The chances of conflicts developing owing to project participants and the wider workforce in general developing an air of mistrust stemming from poor communications and lack of good understanding about the new product concept should not crop up.
I have provided the basics of your project. We can adjust it if necessary. I do not have access to project management software, but a gantt chart is relatively easy to create if necessary. I did not include one here, because you may wish to adjust the information to suit your vision of what is needed. If you have any further questions, please ask. I used the questions to outline the answers.
1. Describe the project scope and project management plan. Align your plan to the overall strategy that you had recommended to the senior executives in Assignment 2.
The project is the conversion of the current manufacturing of smaller types of motorcycles to the larger touring type of motorcycle. The project plan and implementation includes reviewing and hiring, conversion to new equipment where needed, providing work breakdowns and budget costing. The project will also include reporting, risk analysis controls monitoring, and the ability to make some autonomous decisions in terms of operations, purchasing, and marketing.
Project Management Plan
Analysis of designs, quality, manufacturing, and costing are part of the overall project. The project will include cross-functional team members making decisions and having input into the project from planning to completion. This team will plan the project and its components along with the requirements for marketing and sales, work processes, and the overall conversion of the manufacturing plant to handle the new product offerings.
Controls will be put in place at each step of the project process and at each step of the operations process. These controls will be established based on the risk assessment done during the planning stage and with the help of the working staff after the project is implemented. The organizational structure will encourage input from all levels of the plant. Communication will be open and ongoing between workers and management.
During the project planning stage, designs will identified and submitted for consideration to company management. Sourcing of equipment, suppliers and distribution will be planned as well and a report submitted to management for consideration. These submissions will be part of the work breakdown schedule and put into the timeline for timely decision making by management. Operations planning will include regularly scheduled reviews of sourcing for resources needed for the new products.
Products chosen will be tested and reviewed for improvements. Outsourced materials and equipment will also be reviewed for efficiency, quality, and costs. Project reports will be generated and reviewed then properly filed for future use or referencing. All documentation will be archived for access.
2. Analyse the type of staff that your company would need in order to make the manufacturing switch to motorcycles with larger motors.
Staffing needs will vary over the life of the project. The most essential staff will be permanent. Staff must be knowledgeable in their field. Knowledge is a key to success and key employees will be identified upon hire to make sure the most vital information is available to the company on an ongoing basis.
Each staff person ...
A basic project management plan for the assigned motorcycle conversion plan is outlined in over 2,000 words.
External Analysis of the Motorcycle Industry
Like other companies, HD operates in a complex global industry. In order to develop and execute a successful strategy, the HD Motorcycle Corporation must take into account the global automotive environment. In this case assignment you are going to be asked to discuss HD from a strategic perspective.
Please read the information in the background material, look for more information, and then write a 4 to 5 pages report for your professor and the executives of HD corporation by answering the following questions:
i) What are HD's Opportunities for moving forward in the competitive motorcycle manufacturing and sales environment?
ii) What threats does the company face?
iii) Consider the Lehman Trikes case study below. To what extend do you think the alliance between HD and Lehman Trikes presented an opportunity for HD? To what exent do you think this was an opportunity for Lehman? Make sure you support your arguments.
Here is the Lehman Trikes article:
Looney, D. C., & Ryerson, A. (2011). Lehman Trikes: A story within a story. Journal Of The International Academy For Case Studies, 17(7), 45-58. (Available via the Library by way of the EBSCO database). This case case study is attached.View Full Posting Details