You are a project manager for a medium-sized manufacturer of motorcycle cruisers.
In the past, your company has successfully manufactured and marketed the best-selling of these fuel-efficient cruisers that occupy the middleweight class. The rather nebulous middleweight class comprises motorcycles broadly ranging in engine size from 500 cubic centimeters, or cc, to 1000 cc.
Executives at your company are now interested in motorcycles with larger motors and would eventually like to produce motorcycles in the touring class, specifically designed to excel at covering long distances with motors larger than 1100 cc. The proposed target market for these larger motorcycles consists of males between the ages of 35 and 60 in global markets. Price points for the larger motorcycles cover income ranges from $55,000 to $100,000. Management has decided that your company will meet the objectives stated herein within the next five (5) years. During the proposed changeover, the company will continue to manufacture the middleweight cruisers to serve its existing clientele.
I need assistance writing 5-6 page paper in which you:
1.Select one (1) of the types of project organization that would suit the development of the larger touring class motorcycles. Outline the process steps that your company would take in order to develop the motorcycle. Provide a rationale for the response.
2.Recommend one (1) strategy to the senior executives that the organization might use to balance short- and long-term needs. Specify the crucial resources that you would need as a project manager to run the existing business interests at the same time that the business changes to the production of touring class motorcycles.
3.Suggest the project management leadership style that is most conducive to overseeing the operation of the business growth plan.
4.Recommend at least three (3) risk mitigation strategies to address project plan details that might be forgotten or overlooked. Justify the selection.
5.Use at least three (3) quality references.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 12:52 pm ad1c9bdddf
This solution looks at project management's uncertainty propensity to be resolutely held at a very low level with the aid of a solid organization platform, which is capable of producing a highly effective project plan.
Project management plan for motorcycle conversion
1. Describe the project scope and project management plan. Align your plan to the overall strategy.
2. Analyze the type of staff that your company would need in order to make the manufacturing switch to motorcycles with larger motors.
3. Prepare four (4) team-building strategies for handling the newly formed team. Discuss the manner in which the strategies that you have prepared may positively or negatively affect productivity within the company.
4. Analyze the role of the project manager that this project would require. Examine three (3) characteristics of an effective project manager that are relevant to this particular expansion project. Provide a rationale for the response.
5. Emphasize the importance of identifying critical path on projects and the manner in which one would allocate resources to all of the activities on the critical path.
6. Outline the elements of the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and pricing and costing strategy. Delineate the fundamental ways in which the project in question is composed.
7. Develop the following using designated project management software (e.g., Microsoft Project):
a. Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
b. Gantt chart
c. Assigned Resources
Project Motorcycles (Informational Paper)
- Project organisation essentially allows for a seriatim approach at efficiently handling the varying important stages involved in implementing the project in order to achieve success vis-a-vis the wider objectives of the project sponsor(s), the firm itself, the customers, and the stakeholders.
- Prior to touching upon these varying stages it will be necessary to put the organising backbone in place; it should comprise of the following:
o The project manager
o The project team
o The project board member
o The project assurance team
o Client/customer liaison channels
o Evaluation and reporting process
o Monitoring, planning and control process
- With an organising platform in place it will then be possible to produce a plan which amongst other things will feature:
o Objectives definition - project sponsor should subsequently approve it.
o Work itemisation (breakdown) - Critical path analysis or method can be used. Gantt charts could also be considered.
o Time estimation - Microsoft project software could be utilized.
o Stage prioritisation - Carefully deciding about which of the varying stages takes precedence over another, and those that can run in parallel; network analysis (work breakdown structure system) will be of immense help here.
o The initial project plan - With the requisite information regarding project stages and precedents at hand, a fitting network diagram can be produced showing the interrelatedness and varying links and aggregate time for the project, i.e., completion time. Specifying the start date should subsequently bring about the completion time for the tour motorcycle design, production, test and market launch project.
- Where a careful and thoroughly thought through approach is adopted in designing, producing, testing and distributing via the project management process as narrated in the preceding section - the organising and planning steps - the common problem of risk of failure that afflicts most firms that embarks on working on a project without a plan from an organised platform can be avoided.
- Issues pertaining to employee retraining within the production and marketing department; maintaining a much tighter control on cost and the adequacy of production facility to handle the new scope which is more of a short-term aspect can always be addressed reasonably well in light of management's commitment to ensuring the highest level of customer experience and satisfaction from the new product with a view to achieving its objectives.
- The longer term requirements of producing quality oriented tour motorcycles which could possibly serve as a unique selling product is one that will see the firm producing a viable marketing plan via the marketing department's core skills and competencies just so that it can maintain a firm grip in the highly competitive market place with a view to maintaining a sustainable competitive advantage.
- The need to gain economies in technology, manufacturing and distribution via the successful launch of this new product will go a long way in enhancing sales turnover and profitability level.
- Cost, budgetary constraints, accurate and timely implementation of the project and its varying processes and procedures, and scope (deliverables) are also factors that require attention for the success of the project.
- To ensure minimal disruption to long established production procedures and processes, the firm can consider instituting formal and/or informal meetings with employees or long standing team personnel whose jobs will be affected by the introduction of the new production and marketing process to let them know about the nature of the new product (design) ahead of time; if at all it will lead to the end of some employees' task within the firm, where possible arrangements could be made for their redeployment, or better still via training they could be included with the new teams that will work on the production and marketing of the new tour motorcycle range.
- Having a sturdy work breakdown structure in place to give the project manager and team a clear indication of the varying stages and activities that are involved just so that they can resolutely come to terms with the varying time scale and costs of the varying activities and stages for accurate total time and cost estimation.
- Re-negotiating the purchase price of material inputs with existing suppliers, or where it's economical to do so source new suppliers for new materials to be used for production requirements.
- Acquisition of additional machinery, tools and possibly hiring specialists that will be adept and skilful enough to work on the new product range.
- The democratic style of leadership should be most suitable. The team, particularly those on the shop floor and the marketing department will thrive well in a working environment where the team leader, project leader and manager maintains an effective two-way communications channel where much of what needs to be known about the development and progress of the new design is instantly brought to the fore.
- The project manager should often hold meetings particularly the informal style that will foster a genuine friendly working atmosphere where aspects that would have otherwise been swept under the carpet are brought to the attention of the team leader, or project leader or manager for the success of the project. The informal nature of the meetings should, as a matter of confidentiality, be within the bounds of the firm, e.g., meeting up at the company's cafeteria, bar or canteen.
- Effective reporting and risk analysis - via precise, clear and accurate documentation
- Ensure that the product is test marketed thoroughly prior to going for a national launch; shortcomings from the test's feedback about the product can be seen to immediately via the research and development department for prompt modification or adjustment.
- Maintaining a robust and effective two-way communications channel between the firm's project team, customers and stakeholders.
The above approaches are expedient mainly because uncertainty about whether or not the project would be successful will be reduced to an appreciable level. In addition everyone involved with the project will have a clear understanding of I) what the project is all about; and ii) where the new product and the firm are heading for at any point in time in relation to the wider objectives. The chances of conflicts developing owing to project participants and the wider workforce in general developing an air of mistrust stemming from poor communications and lack of good understanding about the new product concept should not crop up.