Please answer the following questions regarding the above mentioned store..
What were some of the business issues that retailers, like A&F, faced in the early and mid-1900's? How have these issues changed over time?
A&F paid $50 million to settle three lawsuits charging it with racial discrimination. Do you think the lawsuits were justified? Did A&F's marketing strategies which apparently insulted certain minority groups encourage a corporate culture that was intolerant of diversity? Does A&F, as well as other retailers, have the right to market itself to any ethnic group it wants? Should retailers be free to hire employees with personal appearances that match the image they are trying to project - even if it means not hiring African-Americans and Latinos?
Consumers today are following two tracks: necessity shopping when convenience and price are important and recreational shopping when an individual shops for fun. Many retailers are trying to attract the latter consumer by providing an extraordinary shopping experience. According to a retail marketing expert, Pam Danziger, stores that rock -- or "pop" -- have the following distinctive features:
1. High levels of customer involvement and interaction
2. A contagious, electric quality
3. An ability to evoke a shopper's curiosity to explore and experience the space
4. Atmosphere, store design and merchandise that contribute to a comprehensive vision with tangible and intangible elements
5. Do you think that A&F has implemented these features in its stores? Why or why not? Can you identify other retailers who are using emotional branding or appealing to the "experiential" buyer?
6. Do you think that A&F has implemented these features in its stores? Why or why not? Can you identify other retailers who are using emotional branding or appealing to the "experiential" buyer?
The response addresses the queries posted in 702 words with references.
// A&F is a US based retailer that had initiated its growth and expansion in 1990s during the time when large retailers were planning to expand in the new global markets. The first section of this paper talks about the issues that A&F and other retailers faced during this period.//
A&F retail store is a US based retailer, selling casual wears, specifically, for the youngsters between the ages of 18 and 22 years. The company headquarters are in Ohio, and the company has its stores in over 300 locations, in the United States. Some of its associated brands are Abercrombie kids, Hollister Co. and Gilly Hicks. The retailer operates in nearly all the key markets of the world, such as US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Sweden and others in Europe, and Japan, South Korea, Singapore and China in Asia.
In 1990s, the major markets of the world were in the process of initiation of globalization and economic reforms, including the US market. Retail industry in different products has since then been among the drivers of globalization because of the direct touch with customers. During this period, the retail industry went through a series of changes and reforms with old companies, ...
A discussion on Abercombie and Fitch. Some of the businesses issues that retailers face are determined.