1. In what ways could Netflix visualize movie ratings, preferences, or trends to provide its subscribes with additional "movie intelligence"?
2. What are the pros and cons of having the winner of the Netflix Prize share the improved Cinematch method?
3. Describe another problem in business or society that could utilize an approach similar to that for winning the Netflix Prize (i.e., a contest that anyone can try to solve).
http://www.netflixprize.com© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 8:23 am ad1c9bdddf
1. In what ways could Netflix visualize movie ratings, preferences, or trends to provide its subscribers with additional "movie intelligence"?
What do you think about this? It seems, Netflix could provide subscribers with "movie intelligence" by implementing or integrating:
- Movie Ratings from a number of sources, not just feedback from their own viewers, but they can add a legend that averages and imports customer response from both Amazon.com and their Internet Movie Database (INDB); Blockbuster; Hula; and other online video systems.
- Preferences: Netflix should have an Innovation department, similar to companies like Google where employees focus on improving the product or service. Does Netflix really listen to their customers to know what 'their' preferences are or do they just do random surveys on occasion and no one at the company really follows up?
- Trends: What are Netflix's competitors doing to provide subscribers with movie ...
This solution explores the Netflix Prize, and examines what ways Netflix may visualize movie ratings, preferences, or trends to provide subscribes with additional "movie intelligence." The pros and cons of winning are discussed, along with another problem in business or society that could utilize an approach similar to that for winning the Netflix Prize (i.e., a contest that anyone can try to solve).
Netflix Capabilities and Core Competencies
1. Some of Netflix's capabilities and core competencies are mentioned in this case. Using the firm's Web site (www.netflix.com) and other information sources, see if you can identify additional capabilities and core competencies. Do you think the core competencies mentioned in this case and/or the ones you found are valuable, rare, difficult to imitate, and nonsubstitutable and as such, are also competitive advantages? Why or why not?
2. What do you believe are the primary competitive challenges facing Netflix today? What capabilities and core competencies does the firm require to successfully deal with those challenges?
3. Using the value chain, use the primary activities and support activities to determine where Netflix creates value. In which primary activity and which support activity do you believe the firm creates the largest amount of value for customers? Why?View Full Posting Details