I need to write 300-400 words of notes about child labor in India (Carpet Looms & Stone Quarries).
Answer the following questions:
What are the major issues?
What are the pros and cons?
What are the implications for management in an international sense?
India is home to child laborers under 14 years of age, some as young as 4 or 5, and all toiling hard just to get a square meal to keep body and soul from parting company. Child labor is a dagger through India's soul. The country has the dubious distinction of being home to the largest child labor force in the world, with an estimated 30 percent of the world's working kids (India Tribune, 2012).
UNODC (2012) reports that India's child laborers are found in establishments such as brick kilns, stone quarries, domestic labor, hotels/dhabas, carpet looms, agriculture and allied works.
India Tribune (2012) raised the following issues:
1. Poverty is the biggest reason for child labor in India.
2. Absence of compulsory education at the primary level, parental ignorance regarding the bad effects of child labor, the lack of implementation of child labor laws and penalties, non-availability and non-accessibility of schools, boring and unpractical school curriculum and cheap child labor are some other factors which lead to child labor.
3. Businesses save money as child labor is cheap and kids can be easily exploited, taking advantage of their parents' poverty and helplessness.
4. Child labor in India is mostly practiced in restaurants, roadside stalls; matches, fireworks and explosives industry; glass and bangles factories; beedi-making; carpet-making; lock-making; brassware; export-oriented garment units; gem polishing export industry; slate mines and manufacturing units; leather units; diamond industry; building and construction industry; brick kilns, helpers to mechanics, masons, carpenters, painters, plumbers, cooks, etc.
5. Thousands of affluent Indians hire youngsters for household chores and to look after their own kids, under the pretext of providing some money to the parents of the child laborers and of offering a better life than he/she would normally have had.
Childline India Foundation (n.d.) added these issues:
1. Poverty and lack of social security are the main causes of child labor. The increasing gap between the rich and the poor, privatization of basic services and the neo-liberal economic policies are causes ...
The solution showed that child labor proliferates in India. It was found out that child laborers are found in establishments such as brick kilns, stone quarries, domestic labor, hotels/dhabas, carpet looms, agriculture and allied works in violation of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.