Peter Jones is an encyclopedia salesman who lives in sunny California. One day, Peter knocked on Rita's door and requested payment for the set of encyclopedias he delivered to her the previous week. Rita laughed at Peter and slammed the door in his face and hit him in the nose. She yelled through the window that if he wanted his money, then he would have to take her to court. Peter was angry because Rita agreed to pay him $500 for the set of encyclopedias.
Peter got into his car and backed out of Rita's driveway. He was not paying attention and backed into a car parked on the street. The owner of the car came out of the neighbor's house and began yelling at Peter because there was $2,500 worth of damage to the car. Because Peter was still angry, he punched the car owner in the face and broke his nose. The broken nose required surgery and cost the car owner $5,500. Peter got back into his car and went home.
When Peter got home, there was a notice tacked on his front door. Peter read the notice. It stated that Peter had missed six mortgage payments and the bank was going to foreclose on his home. The notice gave Peter three days to move out of his house because a public auction would be held to sell Peter's house.
After this terrible day, Peter decided to drown his sorrows at the local bar. After five martinis, Peter left the bar and drove home. He was feeling very good. About two blocks away from his house, Peter was pulled over by the local police. The police officer asked Peter to step out of his vehicle and take a sobriety test. Peter failed the sobriety test. He was taken to jail because California law prohibits drinking and driving. Poor Peter.
1. Rita refused to pay peter $500 for the set of encyclopedias. Under what area of law would peter file a lawsuit against Rita to collect the $500?
2. the owner of the car peter damaged wants to sue peter for $5,500 to recover the cost of surgery on his nose. Under which area of law would the car owner file his lawsuit?
3. Suppose that California law criminalized the act of breaking someone's nose. Under what area of law would peter be punished?
4. The owner of the car peter damaged wants to sue peter for the cost of repairs. Under what area of law would he sue peter to recover losses?
5. Peter wants Rita arrested and punished for slamming the door in his face and hitting his nose. Under what area of law Rita would be punished?
e. None of the above
6. Under what area of law is the bank allowed to foreclose on peters home and sell it at public auction
b. None of the above
1. B - Contract : There was an agreement between Rita and Peter for the set of set of encyclopedias. Peter fulfilled his part but Rita did not.
2. B - Tort : The car ...
Explaining the different areas of law