1) Select one of the team mediation techniques (negotiation, role clarification, or start-stop-continue) and describe how you would use this technique to diffuse a team conflict situation.
2) Identify some of the sources of conflict often experienced in teams. Select one of the sources and describe an exercise the team could utilize to overcome the conflict.
3) Since violated expectations often lead to conflict for individual and team relationships, explain some of the most common expectations that leaders and subordinates often violate. Share personal work-related examples to solidify your understanding of the concept. In addition, discuss how these types of problems were handled in your workplace. Were the methods used correct or incorrect? Explain your answer.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 4, 2020, 5:15 am ad1c9bdddf
Please find below my research to assist you in responding to your homework.
Thank you for patronizing BrainMass.
A) The mediation techniques:
1. Negotiation - the process of trying to agree on a solution to the conflict by compromising or settling on a solution mutually agreed by the parties. Always be positive and find a time to bring the parties together. State each of their cases and let them express themselves. After discussing the pertinent information, work on a solution that will prove to be a win-win for all. An example of this is when two employees bear grudges because one is always late and the other one does his work. A way to negotiate for this is by giving a flexible schedule to the tardy employee. This is probably good if there is a valid reason for the tardiness.
2. Role clarification - A role clarification team building activity happens when there is a need to develop clarity of the various roles and responsibilities that the members perform. During the activity, members also identify the gaps and overlaps and learn how to handle them. When there is a lack of role clarity between the members and the team leader, dissatisfaction and conflict occurs. It involves members asking questions about their present role, which are unclear, which overlaps with others, and an opportunity for feedback ...
This solution of 756 words explains mediation techniques with an example, describes causes and sources of conflicts and lists common ways that team leaders violate their members' expectations as well as typical ways members violate their leaders' expectations. References used re included.