How can I evaluate the following evaluation plan? Define the elements that are present. Describe those that are missing and propose evaluation techniques that would fill those gaps.
Qwerty Ltd (QL) designs and builds custom keyboards from scrap computer parts. They resell the keyboard to industries that need non-standard keyboard for specific applications such as manufacturing floors, clean-rooms, wet rooms, mining operations, and even NASA. In order to streamline their order-to-design process, they want sales reps to capture requirements during sales calls. One of your peers has asked you to review their evaluation plan (below):
Comment on the strengths and missed opportunties.
- Determine whether sales reps have the right skills for capturing requirements
- Define work processes and tools that sales reps will need for new work
- Design the training (if any)
- Pilot test the training with local sales reps only
- Track participant satisfaction with training
- Track whether or not sales reps submit requirements during or just after sales calls
- Determine whether or not production is satisfied with requirements submitted by sales reps
This appears to be or would fall under evaluating project planning. It also appears that you are providing a formative evaluation, which is one performed during the actual project in order to improve the work in progress in an effort to assure success.
The evaluation plan given to you by your peer is simplistic at its best. One of the first things you want to consider is what factors you want to evaluate. This leads me to discuss the design given you although it is inclusive I think things are a bit out of order. I would revise it in the following manner:
- I would first move the second step to be your first and that is to define the work processes and any tools that the sales reps would need for the new work. Without defining the work requirements first you are unable to determine whether or not the sales reps have the appropriate skills to complete the assignment.
- Determine whether sales reps have the right skills for capturing requirements.
This will be an absolutely necessary determination. The weakness I see in this step would be that there is no clarification as to how this will be determined. Basically you are ...
This solution assists in reviewing and evaluating an evaluation plan of another. It assists in locating missing pieces and formulating a solution to proposed techniques as it relates to a manufacturing order-design process.