Explore BrainMass
Share

Explore BrainMass

    Why mouldy foods should not be eaten - fungal toxins

    This content was COPIED from BrainMass.com - View the original, and get the already-completed solution here!

    Discussion of why mouldy foods should not be consumed. Includes a brief description of "Aflatoxins", as well as what consumers can do to assess the risk/benefit ratio when a mouldy food is encountered.

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 9:11 pm ad1c9bdddf
    https://brainmass.com/biology/plant-biology/mouldy-foods-eaten-fungal-toxins-176034

    Solution Preview

    When food is mouldy it is obviously being eaten by fungi. Fungi are microscopic and so identifying them is difficult - costly microscopes and techniques for staining fungi are required. Moreover, most of the fungi we see are not displaying the organs we need to precisely identify them at the time we observe them. Under a microscope they appear as a complex of thin hyphae and some generalized asexual spore structures. Hyphal anatomy and asexual sporangium anatomy are not enough to distinguish between ...

    Solution Summary

    Some fungi are beneficial and some produce dangerous toxins. This discusses examples of good and bad fungi in food.

    $2.19