Understanding Birth Control
First, list five types of birth control. Explain how each method prevents pregnancy, and discuss its effectiveness. What is the most reliable method of birth control? What is the least reliable method? Which of these methods also prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases?
Choose one of the following:
· What factors should you consider when choosing a method of birth control?
· Which of the available methods of birth control would you be most likely to use, if you needed to?
· What are the guidelines set forth under Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case?
· What serious questions should one consider before deciding to have children?
· What role do you expect your partner to play in birth control?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 22, 2018, 12:49 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/biology/human-biology/understanding-birth-control-586124
Five Types of Birth Control
1. Condoms: Condoms are a latex shield that go over the penis and collect semen when a man ejaculates. Condoms also provide a barrier between two people and help to prevent several STDs. Effectiveness with condoms is usually a result of the user. If used properly, they are generally 98% effective.
2. Birth Control Pills: A pill that contains hormones (such as estrogen and progestin) that keeps the eggs from leaving the ovaries. It also makes the mucous of the cervix thicker, thus making it harder for the sperm to get to the eggs. Birth control pills do not protect against STDS. When used properly birth control pills are effective 95% of the time.
3. Abstinence: The MOST effective birth control. Abstinence is when one does abstains (does not participate) from sex. Because a person is not having sex using this method, they are not at risk of becoming pregnant or contacting an STD.
4. IUD: A small t shape device that is inserted into the uterus to prevent eggs from leaving the ...
The five types of birth control and how they work are given. The factors to consider when choosing a method of birth control are discussed.