The text notes that an alternate allele of the hemoglobin gene can cause sickle-cell anemia when a person is homozygous for this allele, but that a person who is heterozygous for the allele actually can derive a benefit from it--protection from malaria. In the United States, 8 percent of African Americans are carriers for the sickle-cell allele, while in central Africa the figure is 20 percent. What could account for this difference? Assess.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 9:45 pm ad1c9bdddf
The standard evolutionary explanation is that since the apparent benefit of having the sickle-cell allele is practically non-existent in America, the allele has decreased in the gene pool. In other words, why have the mutant allele ...
Sickle Cell Disease (SCD)
See the attached file.
You have been asked to create a teaching scenario for a group of students in your discipline. Choose either a disease process discussed in this course, or be creative and choose a disease process you are interested in. Create a Word document or PowerPoint presentation of a fabricated case study that must include:
1. Complete symptoms & history of a fabricated patient with your chosen disease
2. Physical findings of your fabricated patient that are consistent with your chosen disease
3. Diagnostic methods (lab and x-ray) used for the patient. Explain what the common exams would be used for your chosen disease. Include images, results etc.
4. Other possible diagnoses that could be ruled out. Explain why these could be ruled out.
5. At least 2 treatment options for this disease.
6. Short and long term prognosis.
7. How this disease relates to the age of patient as far as onset, symptoms, etc.
8. Use at least 3 scholarly journals as sources. Include them in APA format at the end of your case study.
Here are some examples of case studies:
University of Minnesota Case Studies
Upstate Medical University
Indiana University School of Medicine Clinical Cases
And a sample of what you can do for your assignment:
Sample PowerPoint Case Study.