Outline the article of the National Gang Center Bulletin for November of 2010. Give an overview that includes facts, statistics and recommendations for combating gang activity.
The National Gang Center Bulletin for November of 2010 (5)
By: Michelle Arciaga, Wayne Sakamoto, and Errika Fearbry Jones
Overview of the Article
Fact: Gangs are present in many schools in the United States.
- 45% of high school students say that there are gangs or students who consider themselves to be part of gangs in their schools
- 35% of middle school students say that there are gangs or students who consider themselves to be part of gangs in their schools (2010)
- 46% of students in public schools reported the presence of gangs and gang members at school
- 2% of students in private schools reported the presence of gangs and gang members at school (2007)
- In 2007, 23% of students reported the presence of gangs on their school campus or in the surrounding area. This is a 21% increase from 2003.
Fact: Schools in urban areas appear to be the most affected by the presence of gangs.
- 36% of urban students reported gangs
- 21% of suburban students reported gangs
- 16% of rural students reported gangs
In a survey conducted in approximately 1,300 schools nationwide:
-7.6% of male respondents and 3.8% of female respondents at the secondary level reported that they belonged in a gang ...
This solution will assist the student in gaining insight in the related article on responding to gangs in the school setting.