Choosing a Current Event. A current event refers to something that is happening in the world at present (i.e. the war, the presidential inauguration, 1:4 teenage girls contracting an STD, etc), and they are usually described on the news and in mass media. You must choose a report (written, from the radio, or televised) of an event that has been reported on within 3 months of the assignment deadline. Remember, the event you choose must have some relevance to the study of society, and you must properly cite the source from which you got your report.
Describe the Current Event. Second, you will need to provide a brief summary of the current event. This should include details such as location, timing (i.e is this an ongoing event, does it appear to be a onetime event, is this an example of an event that happens frequently), people involved, and any analysis offered by the report(er).
Analyzing the Current Event. The final step in the process is conducting an analysis of the current event using knowledge you have gained from the course to-date. The most important thing here is that the analysis should not just be your opinion about the current event, but grounded in sociological theory and prior research. You will need to use at least 6 sociological concepts covered in this course to analyze the current event (i.e. social construction, stratification, social control, crime, deviance). (hint: sociological concepts should be clearly identified, defined AND then applied; ANY paraphrasing or direct quotes used from another source should include APA formatted in-text citations and a full citation at the end of the essay)
Henslin, J. (2014) Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach. (12th ed.). Boston: Pearson Learning Solutions. VitalBook file. Bookshelf.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 20, 2018, 4:26 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/sociology/stratification/human-trafficking-a-spotlight-on-thailand-580991
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. In this particular task, you are being asked to present a current event and analyze it from a sociological viewpoint. I see that you have already chosen to utilize the subject of human trafficking. Since you did not suggest an article, I assume that you still have not decided which article it is you want studied. This exercise I believe is to show that you have understood how social issues in today's world can be understood, and maybe even resolved though the application of social science. You will have to discuss certain theories and concepts in the discussion part. I suggest using this simple outline:
1. About the Article (details, quick summary) - 150 words
2. Event Summary - 100 words
3. Analysis - 200 words
This outline should yield around 450 words and can be expanded to more than that (i.e. double each word count to reach 900) which should cover what you need. Make sure to include references from your current class materials. You can also use the listed resources to further explore the topic. All the best with your studies.
AE 105878/Xenia Jones
Social Issue - Human Trafficking in the Media
- Title: "Special Report: Flaws found in Thailand's human-trafficking crackdown"
- Authors: Andrew Marshall and Amy S. Lefevre
- Publication: Thomson Reuters
- URL: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/10/us-thailand-rohingya-special-report-idUSBREA3922P20140410
- An extensive special report on the extent of the human trafficking issues currently at play in Southeast Asia with a special focus on the trafficking of people into Thailand through its porous borders. Trafficked ethnicities/nationalities include Uigurs, Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar, North Koreans, Cambodians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Russian and Uzbeks. The authors worked with a special division of the Thai National Police whose task is to tackle the human trafficking issue after the damning report released by the US that ranked Thailand as one of the key countries where human trafficking is at its worst. Thailand is seen as a human trafficking problem site because it is not only a source of trafficked individuals; it is also a transit destination as well as a destination country (UNIAP, 2014). Thais and other trafficked persons are ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above) on the topic of the social issue of human trafficking as reported in the Media. Resources are listed, an article is suggested and a number of sociological concepts utilized for analysis.