As a consumer of mental health services, which type of therapy would you prefer if you did not care much to talk about your problems? If you were suffering from a phobia? If you had recurring nightmares since childhood? If you wanted to improve your marriage?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 9:48 pm ad1c9bdddf
Interesting questions! One approach is to provide illustrative examples of one way to approach each of these problems. This is the approach this response takes.
1. As a consumer of mental health services, which type of therapy would you prefer if you did not care much to talk about your problems? If you were suffering from a phobia? If you had recurring nightmares since childhood? If you wanted to improve your marriage?
Most problems demand some talking in problem definition, mainly because more often than not, the presenting problem is not really the problem or the problem needs to be explored in order to identify the factors contributing to the problem, which will be part of the treatment plan. However, behavioral action plans often have more 'doing' than talking.
1. IMPROVE YOUR MARRIAGE
For example, in order to identify what needs to improve in the marriage, one would have to talk about it first and then come up with a plan of action to deal effectively with the presenting issues (e.g., poor communication, addictions, infidelity, not enough time spend together, and so on). Then a behavioral action plan could take place. The couple could sing a contract to do certain things, which often increases ones commitment to meeting the goals. The behavioral action plan might be to do the following:
1. At seven o'clock each evening (agreed upon time by both), we will sit down on the couch, and take turns asking: What was your day like? After asking the question, we must give the other person at least 15 minutes of talk time without interrupting. There will be no discussion about what was said after the discussion, like bringing something up to argue about.
2. On Saturday, we will go to see a movie. The first Saturday of the month, she will have her choice of movie, the second Saturday of the month; he will have his choice of movie, and so on, taking turns each week about choosing the movie to go see.
3. If a disagreement seems to be exculpating into more, say: I need a time out, I will discuss this in one hour from now. Respect the other's person's decision.
4. Sign the contract.
The counsellor will have the couple make another appointment to report on the homework assignments. Process questions are helpful (e.g., how did you feel when you talked for 15 minutes without being interrupted? What did you learn about yourself or your partner? Did you have a similar reaction? How was it for you? What was it like letting your partner choose the movie? What was it like choosing the movie the next week? ) Or, if the couple does not want to talk, 'behave your way to success' might be the only alternative. Then, it is a matter of to keep doing what is suggested, and your marriage will improve. Perhaps, you have decided to revisit the plan each month, which might need to be tweaked after trying in for four weeks. There will always be some talking involved in therapy, even when behavioral techniques are implemented early in therapy.
2. RECURRING NIGHTMARES FROM CHILDHOOD?
Desensitization is the classic treatment for recurrent nightmares,, which are often linked to some form of trauma.
Traumatic experiences inevitably create a healthy respect for the possibility of future traumas -- a ...
This solution discusses the best type of therapy in various situations e..g do not like to talk much, suffering from a phobia, recurring nightmares since childhood or improving marriage. It describes the best therapy treatment for each situation in some detail. 2145 words.
Marriage and Family Therapy - Troubled Family
Please provide an internet article regarding Marriage and Family Therapy (focusing on Troubled Families) as a new and growing treatment modality.
Please summarize the article and site the source.View Full Posting Details