What skills and behaviors does a multiculturally competent practitioner exhibit?
What specific skills might you need to be multiculturally competent in your planned professional role as a psychological practitioner, educator, researcher, and/or organizational change agent?
What are the characteristics, beliefs, attitudes, and knowledge of a multiculturally competent practitioner?
Some of the characteristics, beliefs, attitudes and knowledge of a multiculturally competent practitioner are: (Pope & Reynolds, 1997)
• A belief that all differences are valuable and that learning about others who are culturally different is necessary and rewarding
• Knowledge of diverse cultures and oppressed groups
• Knowledge of change as it relates to different cultures
• A personal commitment to social change
• Knowledge about the ways communication differs, both verbal and non-verbal communication
• A willingness to self-examine and challenge their own ...
The solution assists with understanding multicultural competence.