It has been said, "The paradox of human nature is that it is only in an environment of acceptance that we change."(Unknown author) Unconditional positive regard, empathy and genuineness are the characteristics Rogers believed would lead to growth. The feeling that love or acceptance is conditional leads to the stifling of growth.
Describe two personal situations to illustrate this concept:
1) Example of a situation where person would feel they were able to flourish and grow as a result of feeling accepted unconditionally (unconditional positive regard), and
2) Example of another situation where that person felt stifled as a result of conditionality of acceptance.
3) Can you see patterns of the presence or absence of the three characteristics suggested by Carl Rogers in your examples?
4) Is this attitude also important in other Humanistic theories?
250-300 words.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com July 21, 2018, 7:30 pm ad1c9bdddf
Welcome to BM! Please rate 5/5 for my notes to model some ideas. I'm honored to assist you on your future academic endeavors. Your business is valuable to me! Thank you so much for using BrainMass.com!
1) As you give an example of a situation where a person would feel like he or she was able to flourish and grow as a result of feeling accepted unconditionally (unconditional positive regard), must schools, sports teams, or bands represent places where people feel like their talents are supported and cultivated; they feel encouraged to try and succeed ...
Unconditional positive regard is briefly expressed in this solution using examples from popular culture to solidify.