- Describe the diversity aspects of the population being served in the forensic setting. Explain diversity needs and characteristics of the population
- Describe the cultural competencies needed to ethically and effectively work with this population.
- Explain those competencies that are strengths of yours and those that you need to further develop and explain how you might address/improve upon the competencies that need to be further developed.
- Describe a population that is different from you, that you may have difficulty serving. Explain why you think you might have difficulty working with a member of that particular group. Describe strategies you might employ to overcome this difficulty and explain how you might avoid an ethical dilemma when working with diverse populations in general. (Note: Please be specific when identifying the population you chose. Think broadly about diversity. For example you might note: language difference, gender orientation, social economic background, religion, and age).
Hi and thank you for using Brainmass. The solution below should get you started. In this particular task, you are being asked to discuss population and cultural concerns in practice. I suggest using this simple outline:
1. About population diversity in prisons & population subject - 100 words
2. Cultural competencies for ethics - 100 words
3. Strengths and areas for improvement - 100 words
4. Challenging population - 100 words
This is outline should yield 400 words which should cover what you need. Just let me know via the feedback section if you need further clarification. All the best with your studies.
AE 105878/Xenia Jones
Population Diversity: Cultural Issues
The American Prison population is around 743 adults per 100 thousand (BJS, 2014) or around 2,266,800 across Federal and State prisons. Meanwhile 4.8 million are under probation or parole putting the total number to around 7 million American adults under correctional supervision. The diversity of prison population is representative of the cross section of the wider American society where African-Americans and Hispanics make up 30% and 14%, respectively of the entire prison population. The rest, racially/ethnically are compromised of Whites and other races/ethnicities (BJS, 2014). Of the entire population, 8.52% are female which makes 91.48% male in terms of gender. While ethnicity and gender as well as age are among the most common differentiation ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise on the topic of cultural competence in relation to prison psychology practice for the sub-group of suicidal inmates. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.