Analyze Eastern philosophies of wellness: Ayurvedic, Tibetan, and traditional Chinese medicine and
relate philosophies of wellness to the eight dimensions of wellness model.I have read article after article viewed you tube videos and now I need a very simple explanation to this question so I can put together a research paper.
Wellness - The 8 Dimensions and Eastern Philosophies
According to Shapiro (2012), "Wellness is a philosophy or approach for developing a healthy lifestyle that positively affects our quality of life." Thus, it is reasonable to see the 8 dimensions of Wellness as identifying 8 key areas in life that must be approached in such a way that the person practicing it can achieve a healthy and positive way of life. According to SAMHSA (n.d.), "Making the Eight Dimensions of Wellness part of daily life can improve mental and physical health for people with mental and/or substance use disorders." The 8 dimensions according to SAMHSA (n.d.) are as follows:
1. Emotional—Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships;
2. Environmental—Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being;
3. Financial—Satisfaction with current and future financial situations;
4. Intellectual—Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills;
5. Occupational—Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one's work;
6. Physical—Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep;
7. Social—Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system;
8. Spiritual—Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life.
The reason behind SAMHSA's (n.d.) promotion of the 8 dimensions is the fact that when used as a lifestyle, it becomes a strategy of sorts to keep to a 'better' path especially in the case of substance abusers and those with forms of addiction. Consider for example a person trying to recover from alcohol. In therapy, this person reveals that he is drinking to forget a bad break-up and because he feels disconnected from people at work and in his family. Let's say he starts ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above), on the topic of the 8 dimensions of wellness and how it relates to Easters practices like ayurveda, Tibetan medicine and Chinese medicine. Resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.