Compute the odds of each of the following events and rank them in order of decreasing likelihood.
1) picking the right lottery numbers(5 different numbers between 1 and 59) plus the right "power ball" (a number between 1 and 39). **The 5 numbers between 1 and 59 do NOT need to be chosen in the correct order. What impact does this have on the odds?
2) You are flipping a fair coin and it comes up heads 35 times in a row.
3) A meteor 5 inches in diameter falls to the earth and hits your house which is fixed at 2000 square feet.
4) You are playing poker and you are dealt the A, K, Q, J, 10 of spades.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 3:57 am ad1c9bdddf
1. (HERE I AM ASSUMING THAT THERE IS 1 RIGHT NUMBER & I HAVE TO PICK 5 DIFFERENT NUMBERS -- PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM NOT GETTING THIS POINT CORRECTLY)
Probability of picking the right lottery numbers(5 different numbers between 1 and 59) plus the right "power ball" (a number between 1 and 39) = (5/59) * (1/39) = 5/2301
Hence Probability in against = 1 - (5/(59*39)) = (2301-5)/2301 = ...
Probability of picking the right lottery numbers is carefully exemplified in this guide.