2.Let G be abelian of order n. If gcd(n;m) = 1, prove that f(g) = gm is an automorphism of G. (Note: Automorphism is just an isomorphism from G to itself.)
3. If f : Z7 ! Z5 is a homomorphism, prove that f(x) = 0 for all x 2 Z7.
4. Prove that in the group S10 every permutation of order 20 must be odd.
5. Suppose G is a group in which all subgroups are normal. Suppose further that x; y 2 G are such that gcd(jxj; jyj) = 1.
(a) Prove that x¡1y¡1xy 2 hxi hyi.
(b) Prove that xy = yx.
6. Let H be a subgroup of G, of ¯nite index [G : H] = k. Let C = fgH : g 2 Gg be the set of cosets of H in G.
(a) Prove that for x 2 G the function ¸x(gH) = xgH is a permutation of C.
(b) Let S(C) denote the group of permutations of the set C. Prove that the function F : G 7! S(C) given by F(x) = ¸x is a homomorphism.
(c) Prove that ker(F) · H.
(d) Prove that if jGj = n and n does not divide k!, then ker(F) 6= feg.
(e) Apply this to prove that if jGj = 99 and [G : H] = 9 then H must be a normal subgroup of G.
7. Let G be an abelian group of order 16. Write down all direct products of cyclic groups that could be isomorphic to G. If G has elements x and y, each of order 4, with x2 6= y2, can you determine G (up to isomorphism)?
Homomorphism, Subgroups, Abelian Groups and Group Order are investigated. The solution is detailed and well presented. The response received a rating of "5/5" from the student who originally posted the question.
Facts About Group Theory
Please help with the following problem.
Give 5 interesting facts about group theory (or tensor calculus). Each one need only be 1 to just a few sentences - please list separately and under each fact provide any links to websites or pictures etc. These facts need not be anything original.
Thank you for your time and input.View Full Posting Details