For your assignment this week, imagine that you will be building a shed in your back yard. The shed requires a cement foundation that is rectangular in shape. You would like to mark the location of the cement foundation to ensure that it is the correct size and shape. You do not have any special equipment that will help ensure the angles are 90 degrees in the rectangular shape. All you have is some string and four stakes. You are going to have to be creative!
Please answer the following questions to complete this assignment.
1. Conduct some research to learn about the properties of a rectangle that will help you plot out the boundaries of the rectangular foundation using only string and four stakes. HINT: You might do a Google search to help you find information on this process. You can use the phrase "using the diagonals of a rectangle to create a rectangle" or something similar.
2. Based on your research, describe in detail what you will do with the string and four stakes to mark out the rectangular region for the foundation. Write your description as if you were explaining this process to someone who does not know anything about geometry or how to do this.
3. Suppose the dimensions of the rectangular foundation must be 15 feet by 10 feet. What length of string must be used to represent the length of the diagonal of this rectangle? Use the four problem solving steps when writing your solution.
4. The foundation will be 6 inches thick. How much cement, in cubic feet, will be required to lay the foundation? Use the four problem solving steps when writing your solution.
(Expert only answers question 3 and 4).© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com September 25, 2018, 4:28 pm ad1c9bdddf - https://brainmass.com/math/geometry-and-topology/find-the-area-of-a-rectangle-507691
3. The length of the diagonal of a rectangle with dimensions x by y is given by d = sqrt(x^2 + y^2). Thus, for x ...
We compute the area and length of the diagonal of a rectangle of given length and width.