I need to create a personal code of ethics using one of the major ethical frameworks as a guide. The field I chose for professional code of ethics for a career was forensic psychology in the criminal justice field. In this paper what ethical standards would I hold for myself if I work in this field.
How does your code of ethics compare to the professional code of ethics? Discuss the differences between your code and the professional code.
How does your personal code compare to the unwritten code associated with this career? Discuss the differences.
What ethical dilemmas does your personal code of ethics help you resolve.
Characterize the ethical framework used to construct your personal code of ethics.
Does your personal code of ethics seem to match the ethical standards required for the career you are interested in why or why not?
Please help me!© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com August 14, 2018, 5:59 pm ad1c9bdddf
Let's take a closer look at some examples of personal code of ethics and the other questions to help you get started on this interesting assignment. I also attached a criminal justice code of ethic, a guide of how to develop a personal code of ethics and a comprehensive list of hyperlinked ethical frameworks.
1. How does your code of ethics compare to the professional code of ethics? Discuss the differences between your code and the professional code.
Your personal code of ethics will be made up of values that are important to you e.g. honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, duty to uphold the law, sense of justice, etc. Let's look at three examples to consider for this section.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE 1
I have developed a live document to be known as my personal code of ethics which reflects values important to the criminal justice system. I will revisit this code as needed throughout my professional career to ensure its professional relevance and value, and to make any needed modifications as will promote the profession of forensic psychology in the criminal justice system.
Personal Code of Ethics
I will operate and conduct my decisions and actions based on the following values:
Maintaining an unimpeachable standard of integrity in all my business relationships both inside and outside the organizations in which I am employed
I will exercise reasonable judgment and take precautions to ensure that my potential biases, the boundaries of their competence, and the limitations of their expertise do not lead to or condone unjust practices.
3. Respect for People's Rights and Dignity
I will respect the dignity and worth of all people, and the rights of individuals to privacy, confidentiality, and self-determination.
Fostering the highest standards of professional competence amongst those for whom I am responsible.
5. Responsible Management
Optimizing the use of resources for which I am responsible so as to provide the maximum benefit to my employers;
6. Serving the Public Interest
Not using my authority of office for personal benefit, rejecting and denouncing any business practice that is improper;
7. Conformity to the Laws
In Terms of:
A. The laws of the country in which I practice;
B. The Institute's or Corporation's Rules and Regulations;
C. Contractual obligations
Also see the APA code of ethics at http://www.apa.org/ethics/code2002.html#principle_d.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE 2: Personal Code of Ethics
In my consideration of my personal philosophy, I offer the following statements as my guiding practice:
1. I will conduct myself as an ethical person in my private life, and as an ethical professional in my dealings with learners, colleagues and others in which I may encounter in all my undertakings.
2. I will offer to each [client] the insight of my combined knowledge and developed skills in a manner that is offered and received without prejudice, judgment, or predetermined notions of any [client's] ability, disability, religious beliefs, learning style, age, socioeconomic status, social or professional standing, gender, race, and ethnicity.
3. I will conduct myself in a supportive, but professional, manner in all my dealings with [clients] and colleagues, setting the standard and putting forth the highest respect in my professional relationships with others.
4. I will refrain from any and all activities which may be construed as unethical, or which may violate written and unwritten codes of professional and personal conduct, rules, regulations and similar standards of the profession of criminal justice, and/or the laws of jurisdictions.
5. I will practice to the best of my ability the asset of objectivity, and will entertain thoughts of all [clients] without bias to predetermined beliefs or shadows of conflicting values, morals and/or judgments.
6. I will promote ethical thinking and living among those whose paths I encounter in all walks of life, by conducting myself in such a manner as to set the ...
Through illustrative examples, this solution provides assistance in creating a personal code of ethics using one of the major ethical frameworks. It then compares this personal code of ethics to the professional code of ethics, discussing the differences between your code and the professional code. It explains how this personal code compare to the unwritten code associated with forensic psychology in the criminal justice and what ethical dilemmas the personal code of ethics might help to resolve. It characterizes the ethical framework used to construct the personal code of ethics and how the personal code of ethics seems to match the ethical standards required for the chosen career e.g. forensic psychology in the criminal justice (code attached).