The American Correctional Association requires performance-based standards that focus on actual compliance with expected practices. There are 7 functional areas:
- Program and Activity
- Administration and Management
Address each functional area listed above in an accreditation plan for a correctional facility of your choice by responding to the following question for each of the 7 functions:
1. According to the American Correctional Association, what are the correctional standards for this function?
2. What are the desired conditions that need to be achieved and maintained? A minimum of 3 desired conditions should be identified and explained for each area above.
3. Provide a brief overview of your selected existing correctional facility.
Create your accreditation plan addressing all of the 7 functions.
4. How will you fulfill the requirements for each function as required by the American Corrections Association?
5. What are the 3 most significant challenges that you will face to obtain accreditation for your facility?
6. How will you ensure that these 3 challenges are overcome?
1. The ACA requires safety entails the correctional facility providing a safe environment for the community, staff and offenders.
2. The desired conditions that need to be achieved are objective measures that are taken by the facility to protect staff from injury and illness. The correctional institution must create safety measures that train staff, these measures must be diligently followed, and punishment must be swift and immediate when these measures are violated.
1. The ACA mandates that the community, staff, and offenders are protected from harm.
2. The correctional institution must ensure that security measures are in place such as internal security systems that negate against contraband being brought in the facility, preventive security planning to negate against any inmates being able to escape, and response measures that are in place to respond to any disturbances or riots.
1. The ACA mandates that an orderly environment is maintained with the facility establishing clear and concise expectations of behavior systems and accountability from correctional personnel.
2. The desired conditions that are achievable through objective measures include competent and visionary leadership that is focused on ensuring that the facility operates under the standards of the ACA. Management must be approachable and operate in an inviting environment that allows for staff to report any violations that could place the security or safety of the institution ...
This solution provides the student with a breakdown of the standards that must be met by their correctional facility to receive accreditation from the American Correctional Association, which is the largest and oldest correctional association in the world.