Compare and contrast the APA and ACA guidelines regarding providing service to culturally diverse populations. Which factors do both sets of guidelines approach similarly? Are there points of difference between the two sets of guidelines? Which sets of guidelines resonate most with working with culturally diverse population, and why?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 10, 2019, 4:33 am ad1c9bdddf
1.Compare and contrast the APA and ACA guidelines regarding providing service to culturally diverse populations.
(a.) The American Counseling Association (ACA, 2005) Code of Ethics (paraphrased)
Several sections exist under the guidelines of the ACA (2005) code of ethics including:
- "Respecting clients Rights" (Section B.1) in which counselors must consider multicultural issues focused on diversity, awareness and sensitivity concerning confidentiality, privacy and culture.
- "Boundaries of competence" (Section C.2a) states that counselors practice only within boundaries of their competence relative to education, training and appropriate professional experience. They are to obtain knowledge, personal awareness, and skills in efforts to work with a diverse client population.
- "Non-discrimination" (Section C. 5) guidelines are set forth which cautions practitioners/counselors not to engage in discussions or acts of discrimination of clients based on their age, disability, ethnicity, race, religion, spirituality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, partnership, language preference, socioeconomic status or an basis proscribed by law.
- "Cultural Sensitivity" (Section E.5b) states that counselors are to consider the client's socioeconomic and cultural experiences when diagnosing mental disorders.
- "Historical and social prejudices (Section E.5c) in the diagnosis of pathology" stipulates that counselors recognize historical and social prejudices when diagnosing clients with pathology.
- "Culturally Diverse populations" (Section E.6c) counselors are cautioned that when selecting assessments for a culturally diverse population, they are to utilize appropriate assessment instruments.
- "Multicultural cultural issues/diversity in assessment" (Section ...
This solution compares and contrasts APA and ACA guidelines regarding services for diverse populations.