Purchase Solution

Slavery in Institution Colonial America

Not what you're looking for?

Ask Custom Question

Why did slavery grow to be such an important institution in colonial America? What were the effect of slavery on the Africans who were brought to the New World?

Purchase this Solution

Solution Summary

The expert determines why slavery grew to be such an important institution in colonial America. The effects of slavery on the Africans who were brought to the New World are determined.

Solution Preview

To begin, it is not widely known that only about 5% of all slaves taken from Africa were located in the US - the other 95% were taken to South America & the islands that today dot the carribean. However, those 5% did populate & thus the slave population in the US was quite high by the Civil War.
<br>
<br>Slavery was a hugely important institution in the colonies & only continued in its importance until it became illegal. Specifically, the agriculturally dependent Southern colonies had a huge need for ...

Purchase this Solution


Free BrainMass Quizzes
The Slavery Question in the American Territories

This quiz will test your knowledge about various laws and policies on slavery in the U.S. during the 19th century.

America Joins the World 1900-1939

This quiz will test your knowledge on America's emergence into the world beginning from the 20th century until the start of WWII

The French Revolution

This quiz covers the first French Revolution of 1789-94.

German Wars of Unification

A short quiz to determine the student's knowledge of events and figures associated with the mid 19th Century German Wars of Unification

America After WWII

This quiz will access your knowledge of America after WWII and the new age that the country was entering into.