I) There were several different reasons listed for workforce shortages in healthcare. List the top three reasons you believe there is a shortage and write a 500-750-word essay detailing your reasons. Remember to specifically address the following in your reasoning:
(1) Consider some short-term solutions.
(2) Consider some long-term solutions.
(3) Identify a special interest group or government agency that would help you write policy to solve the problem.
I need help getting started. I am not asking for an OTA to write the paper, but to provide ideas and information for the questions above. Thank you.
Let's take a closer look at each question from various sources, which you can draw on for your final response. I also provided other links for further consideration.
i) There were several different reasons listed for workforce shortages in healthcare. List the top three reasons you believe there is a shortage and write a 500-750-word essay detailing your reasons. Remember to specifically address the following in your reasoning:
There are major concerns about workforce shortages that prompted an investigation by several health organizations e.g. the American Hospital Association, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the Federation of American Hospitals and the National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems. In fact, they hired the First Consulting Group to survey hospitals across the country to obtain quantitative data regarding the workforce situation and found that the shortage was indeed real in many disciples e.g. nursing, pharmacists, etc, but nursing was especially hit hard with 20% vacancy rate across hospitals along with imaging technicians at 15% (http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:p4CU4JmZrs4J:www.aha.org/aha/content/2001/pdf/FcgWorkforceReport.pdf+reasons+listed+for+workforce+shortages+in+healthcare&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a)/
Health care workforce shortage problems are prominent in urban, rural and all regions of United States for several reasons, including: an aging workforce population; high retirement eligibility; difficulty in retention of workers; difficulty in recruitment of workers; lack of educational and training opportunities; high vacancy rates; high turnover rates; lack of opportunities for career advancement, especially in rural areas; financial concerns including lower pay as well as lack of benefits in rural areas; and/or increased work load demand.
The following three reasons:
(1) Aging population and the demand for hospitals workers in all positions has increased significantly since 1999. For example, The First Consulting Group found that hospitals reported that demand for certain positions had risen and in some cases dramatically, even more than the historically rising demand for hospital employees. As the population ages, this will continue to increase, so recruitment and retention becomes extremely important.
(2) High retirement eligibility and difficulty in recruiting new workers.
The baby boomers make up a large part of the workforce in healthcare, which are now entering the retirement years. In addition, there is difficulty in recruiting new ...
By addressing the questions, this solution assists in exploring aspects of workforce shortages in Healthcare. References and links for further exploration are also provided.