1. Do you believe that corporations should be socially responsible or do you think that corporations should focus on getting the highest possible returns to shareholders?
2. What do you think is the primary reason that ethical problems exist in today's corporations?
3. There are many benefits and costs associated with globalization. Do you think that globalization has more of a positive or negative effect on the world economy?
4. In light of the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico and the increasing need to find new sources of energy. What do you think needs to be done, so another environmental catastrophe doesn't happen again?
5. Emerging technology has permanently changed the way we work, live, and communicate. Would you feel comfortable with the sharing of your digital medical records?
6. Please give an example of a company using an image advertisement that you seen on any media outlet, and if it convinced you of buying that product.
1,438 words© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 4, 2020, 12:48 am ad1c9bdddf
1. Do you believe that corporations should be socially responsible or do you think that corporations should focus on getting the highest possible returns to shareholders? I believe corporations should operate ethically, even if that reduces short-term profits to shareholders. Corporations that are unethical should not be profitable for long. The long-term returns on ethical behavior should outweigh the short-term gains by dishonesty and inconsideration for the people the companies ultimately serve. In a perfect world, anyway, that would be the case, and even in this one, it does sometimes work out that way - what goes around (bad, unethical behavior) comes around (declining profits and bankruptcy).
2. What do you think is the primary reason that ethical problems exist in today's corporations? Ethical problems exist in modern corporations today because most people are very short-sighted, and focus on the returns in profits TODAY, and hang what might happen tomorrow. (Eat, drink and be merry today, for tomorrow, we might all be dead) That sort of shortsightedness is responsible for the current climate of maximizing profits today, at the cost of morals, ethics and considerate behavior towards human beings. Business owners used to be concerned with their reputations - but most today act as though that concern was old-fashioned and outdated - and it is NOT. Businesses that treat people (employees and customers) ethically earn repeat business, and businesses that do not so treat people do not earn repeat business. There are companies whose products I will never purchase again in my lifetime because of the way I was treated when I had a problem with their product. There are companies whose products I actively seek out, because of the way they treated me when I had a problem. Which is the better situation for the company?
3. There are many benefits and costs associated with globalization. Do you think that globalization has more of a positive or negative effect on the world economy? I actually enjoy the fact that products from other nations are available in my own nation, so I believe that globalization, and ...
Questions asking for personal input regarding corporations being socially responsible, corporate ethics, globalization, environmental disasters, medical and personal privacy, and advertising. OTS sample responses.