Not what you're looking for?
1. What is the relationship, if any, between the public education system and children who are home schooled? Provide references and, if possible, could you provide links or articles for further research. Thanks.
Purchase this Solution
This solution explains the relationship between the public education system and children who are home schooled, including 16 supplementary references for further research.
1. What is the relationship, if any, between the public education system and children who are home schooled?
PUBLIC EDUCATION AND HOMESCHOOLERS
1. Public schools have long had connections with the homeschool community via services such as part-time enrollment and participation in student activities.
2. For example, a public school in Barnstable, Massachusetts helped to pioneer the concept of assistance to homeschool families as early as 1978. In addition, the Cupertino Union School District in California provided open enrollment/alternative education beginning in 1975 (Angelis, 1998).
3. One notable public school system connecting with homeschoolers is the Federal Way School District in Washington (Fager and Brewster, 2000). The Federal Way School District instituted an Internet academy that provides instruction through on-line courses, chat rooms, e-mail and phone support from supervising district teachers.
4. Homeschool students can attend courses but also have the option to enroll for all instruction on-line. Those without computer access can utilize a school district computer lab or computers at public libraries.
5. As school districts have opened their doors to homeschooled children in the areas of curricular and extracurricular activities, legal concerns have been ...
Purchase this Solution
Free BrainMass Quizzes
Media portrays a love vs. hate relationship regarding the Common Core State Standards. How much do you know about the CCSS? This quiz provides a basic understanding of the establishment of the Common Core.
This is the training quiz for Academic Expert applicants. Must be completed after reviewing the four Training videos.
Learn about why it is important to assess children, and how assessment can benefit the teacher and the children.
Learning to use scissors properly is an important pre-school skill. This quiz will provide a brief review of typical skill development and pre-requisite activities.
Each child develops individually. Understanding typical expectations for Kindergarten will assist educators in identifying possible delays.