1. You are a project manager of a small startup company assigned to a project to a build a dynamic web application to market to consumers to more easily/cheaply download copyrighted videos and movies. Your company wants to make a name for themselves in this market, and the competition is fierce. What software model would you pick and why?
2. For the situation in question 1, what steps would you take at the beginning of the effort towards risk management? Please be specific in your response.
3. For the situation in question 1, what project management tools and techniques would you use to help manage this effort? Please elaborate briefly on how you would use them in your response.
4. You are a project manager assigned to a project to replace the existing payroll system in a very large company. This system is 20+ years old and spans users/stakeholders from many different departments in many different locations. How would you address the task of gathering requirements for this system?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 3:13 am ad1c9bdddf
This solution discusses some particular questions in regards to:
1. Software model selections and application
2. Project and Risk Management
3. Systems Analysis and Requirements Gathering techniques with multiple stakeholders in different departments and locations.
Project Resource Management/ Project management
The Managed Care Department of the hospital has decided to implement a
Case Management System called Care+. The cost of the software is
$450,000. This includes the cost of the software, software
configuration, conversion of existing data into the software database,
training for 2 people, and on-site resources for 2 days during the
initial installation and go-live. A total number of 12 users will need
training to operate this software. Training time is 2 days per person.
This will be accomplished by the 2 people in-house that are trained by
the vendor. This software system will require the purchase of 3 servers
($1,250 each) that will be configured in a cluster to support the
department's request for redundancy and failover. In addition, backup
software for each server is $1,500. The average salary of an IT worker
is $91/hour. You will need 1 programmer (40 hours), 1 database manager
(65 hours), 1 project analyst (150 hours), 1 operations analyst (20
hours), 1 interface manager (20 hours), and 1 networking analyst (10
hours). The manager of each department has provided you with estimates
of the time required to complete this project. Interim approval for this
project has been granted. You have been named project manager. Senior
leadership would like you to prepare a time-phased budget for final
approval of this project. You will also need to provide a diagram of how
you estimated direct costs, labor costs, and indirect costs. Final
approval will be contingent upon the proposed budget.
Your team has been hired to consult with the project manager in this
scenario on the allocation of resources. To assist the project manager,
you will construct two diagrams:
a. A work breakdown structure of direct, general administrative
b. A time-phased budget (based on your work breakdown structure)
Write a 1,000 word brief to the project manager in the scenario
justifying your work breakdown structure and time-phased budget. In this
brief, do the following:
a. Identify the primary data sets used to determine the
b. Identify some factors that could influence the accuracy of your estimates.
c. Explain whether you took a macro or a micro approach and
justify the approach.
d. Identify the major constraints and explain how you
prioritized them according to risk in determining the dollar amounts
assigned in the budget.