Website architecture and purpose
Here is the description of a website named, "University Web Pages". The website is being designed for a University. The professors, students and other staff members can make their profile online and students and other people can visit them. The website will also include project allotment, assignment submission and will include the details for other events in the University.
The purpose of the website is to provide a platform to the University for all of its functionalities. All the information regarding the University will be provided through this website. The target would be to include the functionalities so that all the transfer of information is done online. The website would provide a database that would store all the information. Every person related to the University will have a profile, and all the information needed by the person will be posted on his profile. So, all users simply have to visit their profile to access all the required information. The website will provide following functionalities:-
• Student Online Registration
• Faculty Registration
• Course Registration
• Staff Registration
• Faculty web pages
• Student web pages
• Staff Web pages
• Mail server
• Assignment Submission
The functions are described below:-
Student Online Registration: -
This module will allow students to register for a semester. This module will take the details of the student and save them in the database. For old students it would the records and for new students it would create new records. This module will also archive the records of the students who have passed out. New records will be finalized by administrator only.
Faculty Registration: -
This module is meant for the registration of new faculty. When new faculties are appointed, they will be registered onto the website using this module. Their details will be stored in the database. The courses taught by them would also be stored. New records will be finalized by administrator only.
Course registration: -
This module will be used if some department of the University is starting a new course. The course will be stored in the database and faculties teaching that course will also be stored. New records will be finalized by Head of department only.
Staff registration: -
This module is meant for the staff people other than faculties. This would store which work is handled by which staff. So any query related to any work/problem would be posted on the concerned person's profile.
Faculty web pages: -
This module will allow professors and teachers to create their profiles. They can login and edit their information through this module. Queries by students can also be seen and answered on their page only. They can choose what information they want to keep private and what they can keep public for all viewers.
Student web pages: -
This module will allow student to create their profiles on the website. This profile can be visited by teachers, other students, companies and other visitors. They can keep their academic records, their resume on their profile. Their subjects will also be displayed. They can also submit queries related to their subjects and those queries will be posted on concerned teacher's profile.
Staff web pages:-
This will allow all staff members t have their own profile. Queries related to their work will be posted on their profiles and they can answer them. Also they can edit their profiles.
The website will also include a mail server. This mail server will be used by students, professors and staff members only. For Students, their college id will be used as their mail id. Professors and staff will be allowed to create their user names.
The assignment will be posted by teachers on their profiles and the batch will be mentioned. That assignment will be posted on each student of that batch. Student can download the assignments and upload the solutions on their profile page only.
Target Audience: -
This website is meant to be viewed by:-
• Students: - students will be registered on the website. They will visit the website to update their profiles, check assignments, submit assignments, and to perform other queries related to events, fees, hostel problems etc. They will also use the mail server provided by the website.
• Professors: - professors will also be registered on the website. They will update their information, projects information. They will also upload assignments and download solutions. They will upload projects also.
• Staff members: - they will put up notices on the website. They can edit their personal information and can also use the mail server.
• Outside students and parents: - the outside students can get the information about the university. They can visit student's profile, professor's profile. They can also perform queries as guest users. They can view the courses offered by the university and fees etc.
• Companies :- companies coming in for campus placement may visit students profile, or they might want to see the information related to college such as events at the college, previous placements etc.
Following are the requirements of the website:-
• Web server:- A server for hosting web pages would be required. This server allows the pages to viewed through the browser on the network. We could use Apache 2.2 web server for this purpose.
• SQL database server:- to maintain the database the website would require a SQL server. This server would store tables and allow insertion, updating, deletion and selection queries over the database. MySQL 5.1 server could be used for this purpose. MySQL client would also be required to perform the queries.
• Mail server: - a mail server would be required by the website that would contain mail accounts and will send and receive mails using the SMTP protocol. Any mail server such as DEEPOFIX could be used for this purpose.
The sitemap of the website is given in the diagram. The website will consist of following pages:-
• Student registration form: - this form will allow students to register. The students will enter their details and submit the form. After registration their profile page will be created automatically. The registration form will be named as student_registration.php.
• Faculty registration form: - This page will allow faculty to register. After registration the faculty profile page will be created automatically. This page will be named as faculty_registration.php.
• Staff registration:- This page will allow staff to register and create their profile pages. This page will be named as staff_registration.php
• Student Login page:- this page will allow students to login and will direct it to their profile pages. This page would be named student_login.php.
• Student profile page:- this page will be different for each student. Each student will have his own profile page. The login page will redirect the student to this page. This page will be named after the student's college id. i.e college_id.php. this page can also be visited by outsiders, other students and professors but they would be able to see the public information of the student only.
• Edit profile page:- this page will allow students to edit their profile. It will be named edit_page.php
• Mail home page:- this will be the homepage of the student mailbox. This page contains the mails and links for composing mail and other options.
• Professor and Staff login pages:- these would be similar to student login pages and will allow staff and professors to login onto their profile pages.
• Professor and Staff profile pages: - this will be similar to student profile page. These will be named after the username of the respective staff/ professor.
• Assignment and project upload:- this page will allow professor to upload assignments and projects for selected batches and the assignments will be posted on the profiles of students of that batch
• Update notice: - This page will allow staff members to post notice on the website. The notices will be sent to the selected people or displayed on the home page as requested.
• Assignment submission: - this page will allow students to upload solutions to the assignments and will allow them to select the professors they want to submit the assignment to. The assignment will be posted on the proffesors profile.
The professors and staff will also have mail home pages and edit profile pages, where they can see their mails and update their profiles.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 21, 2019, 6:38 pm ad1c9bdddf
Website Navigation and Development Plan
Website navigation a key component of a website, relating directly to its success. Website navigation is the gateway into the different sections of content. Without some sort of navigation, a site loses all sense of structure and organization. It is important to allow access to the rest of your site from anywhere. Ideally, you should be able to go to any page in a maximum of two or three clicks, with your main pages accessible in one. Navigation is generally done using a navigation bar down one side of the screen, along the top and bottom, or in a frame that stays with you throughout your visit to a site. A navigation bar can give readers immediate knowledge of the depth of your site. Having a fully-featured navigation bar assures the reader that there's lots to see and do, and encourages them to explore a little bit.
There are following features of website navigation:-
• Navigation Should Be Easy to Find: - Navigation should be a prominent element of your design. It shouldn't get lost amongst a sea of content. The most common location of a button bar is across the top of the page, so that the users should not have to scroll down to navigate further into your site. For example, in the following figure, we show the navigation bar of website of MIT. The navigation bar is scattered from left of the screen to right of the screen, also covering the bottom of the screen. The only view user gets on the home page is the ...
Website navigation and development plans are examined.