Hi, I need some assistance understanding how to approach the following questions,
1) Assign oxidation numbers for each of the following atoms in the redox reaction given below.
2H^+(aq) + 2HNOsub2(aq) + 2I^- -> 2NO(g) +2H2O(l) +Isub2(s)
a) Oxidation numbers for each.
b) Which atom is being reduced and why.
c) Which atom is being oxidized and why.
d) Which molecule/ion is the reducing agent and why.
e) Which molecule/ion is the oxidizing agent and why.
To assign oxidation numbers you need to know a few rules about the system.
- Hydrogen is always plus 1 (except when bonded to a group 1 or 2 metal)
- Oxygen is always -2, (except when bonded to fluorine)
- Most halides are always -1
- Group 1 metals are always +1
- Group 2 metals are always +2
This solution is comprised of a detailed explanation of how to approach this chemistry based problem. Tips for solving these types of questions, particularly in terms of assigning oxidation numbers, are provided and will be useful in understanding how to complete future questions of this nature.