1) Write equations to show how the following equations could be accomplished:
A) cyclohexene to Cyclohexane
B) 2-Methylbutene to 3,3,4,4-tetramethylhexane
2) Given: CH2CH3 + CL2 -----> product
A) The structure for the major product from the reactions is:
B) Write equations to clearly show the expected mechanism for the reaction. Clearly label all steps of the mechanism.
3) Which of the following would be expected to be the most stable carcocation. Using good scientific terminology with the aid of structures/equations, clearly explain your answer.
4) How many distinct dichlorination products can result when isobutene is subjected to free radical chlorination?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 16, 2018, 3:57 pm ad1c9bdddf
1) A) Cyclohexene + H2/Ni ---> Cyclohexane
B) 2-methylbutene + 2-Iodo-2-methylbutane ----> 2-Iodo-3,3,4,4-tetramethylhexane
2-Iodo-3,3,4,4-tetramethylhexane + NaH ---> 3,3,4,4-tetramethylhexane + NaI
2) A) ...
The solution provides clear answers to the range of questions provided and includes explanations of how to get them.
Reaction Mechanism Products of Alkenes
Match the descriptors with the correct reaction mechanism by placing the appropriate letter from the column. Some can have more than one letter for the answer.
1. The product is an alkene.
2. Inversion of configuation occurs.
3. Apolar aprotic solvent is best.
>1 >2>3 %A carbocation is involved. (RX Mechanisms)
1. SN1 2. SN2 3. E1 4. E2