1. Write a structural formula for each of the following acids:
a. 4-oxohexanoic acid
b. 2-hydroxy-3-methylhexanoic acid
c. 2-chloropentanedioic acid
d. p-bromophenylacetic acid
2. Name each of the following acids (see attached).
3. In each of the following pairs of acids, which would be expected to be stronger, and why?
a. CH2ClCH2CO2H or CH3CHClCO2H
b. m-ClC6H4CO2H or p-ClC6H4CO2H
4. Give equations for the synthesis of (see attached).
5. Write a structure for each of the following compounds:
a. trichloromethyl formate
b. 2-chlorophenyl acetate
c. ethyl benzoate
d. sodium butanoate
6. Write an equation for the reaction of phenyl propanoate with
a. hot aqueous sodium hydroxide
b. ammonia (heat)
c. propylmagnesium bromide (two equivalents), then H3O+
d. lithium aluminum hydride (two equivalents), then H3O+
7. Write out all the steps in the mechanism for
a. saponification of ethyl benzoate
b. ammonolysis of ethyl benzoate
8. Write an equation for
a. esterification of propanoic acid with benzyl alcohol
b. oxidation of toluene with potassium permanganate
c. reduction of propylcyclopentane carboxylate with lithium aluminum hydride
9. Write an equation for saponification of glyceryl tripalmitate.
10. Write an equation for hydrogenation of glyceryl trioleate.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 10:17 am ad1c9bdddf
This solution provides structural formula, names, a discussion on which pair of acids would be stronger, the equation of synthesis and reaction, formatted in the attached PDF file.
5 questions (L6)
20. Discuss what you would observe after elution and visualization of a TLC
plate having made the following mistakes in carrying out the analysis.
a. The solvent level in the developing jar was higher
than the original line on which the samples were
b. Too much sample was applied to the TLC plate.
14. Suggest a suitable mechanism for the reaction of 9-fIuorenone with 2,4-
dinitrophenylhydrazine to form the corresponding
2 ,4-d initrophenylhyd razone.
15. There are actually two isomeric 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazones of 2-
pentanone. Draw the structures of these isomers.
8. When 1-octene is treated with NBS, three monobromo straight-chain
alkenes having molecular formula C9H17Br are Isolated from the reaction
mixture. Identify these compounds and give each a suitable name.
9. Benzyl bromide (C6HsCH2Br) can be prepared by treating toluene with
NBS in the presence of a peroxide initiator. Suggest a suitable mechanism
to account for this reaction.