a. regions of electron density on an atom will organize themselves so as to maximize s-character
b. atomic orbitals of the bonding atoms must overlap for a bond to
c. hybrid orbitals will form as necessary to, as closely as possible,
achieve spherical symmetry
d. electron pairs in the valence shell of an atom will arrange
themselves so as to minimize repulsions
e. regions of electron density in the valence shell of an atom will
arrange themselves so as to maximize overlap
The electron-domain geometry and molecular geometry of iodine
trichloride are __________ and __________, respectively.
a. trigonal planar, trigonal planar
b. T-shaped, trigonal planar
c. octahedral, trigonal planar
d. trigonal bipyramidal, T-shaped
e. tetrahedral, trigonal pyramidal
The molecular geometry of _____ is square planar.
The molecular geometry of the right-most carbon in the molecule
below is __________.
a. trigonal bipyramidal
e. trigonal planar
The basis of the VSEPR model of molecular bonding is d. electron pairs in the valence shell of an atom will arrange themselves so as to minimize repulsions.
The electron-domain geometry and molecular geometry of iodine ...
This solution is provided in 155 words. It provides an answer to each question and gives brief explanations for the answer.
Molecular Geometry and Bond Order Problems
1) What is the molecular geometry of the ammonium ion?
2) What is the molecular geometry of the SO2Cl2 molecule?
3) What is the approximate F-S-F bond angle in sulfur hexafluoride?
4) What is the hybridization of the central atom in COCl2?
5) What is the hybridization of the central atom in selenium tetrabromide?
6) How many electrons are in * orbitals in the molecule O2?
7) What is the bond order in H2+?
8) The density of a sample of gas is 1.31g/L at STP (1.00atm and 273.15K). What is the average molar mass of the molecules in the gas sample? Record your answers to three significant figures.
9) The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is 375ppm (by volume). What is the mole fraction of CO2 in the atmosphere?
10) Calculate the ratio of rates of effusion of O2 versus Cl2. Record your answers to three significant figures.View Full Posting Details