1. Identify each of the following substances as strong electrolyte, weak electrolyte, or nonelectrolyte:
2. Predict and explain which of the following systems are electrically conducting:
an aqueous solution of NaCl.
3. Characterize the following compounds as soluble or insoluble in water:
4. Write ionic and net ionic equations for the following reactions:
Na_2S(aq) + ZnCl_2(aq) -->
2K_3PO_4(aq) + 3Sr(NO_3)_2(aq)-->
Mg(NO_3)_2(aq) + 2NaOH(aq)-->
6. Balance the following equations and write the corresponding ionic and net ionic equations:
HBr(aq) + NH_3(aq)--->(HBr is a strong acid)
Ba(OH)_2(aq) + H_3PO_4(aq)---> HCiO_4(aq) + Mg(OH)_2(s)--->
7. From the complete redox reactions given, write the half-reactions and identify the oxidizing and reducing agents:
Si + 2F_2--->SiF_4, H_2 + Cl_2--->2HCl
1. Strong electrolytes implies that it can dissociate into ion in solution. Complete dissociation gives stron electrolytes and partial dissociation means weak electrolyte. If something does not dissociate in water to give ions then its a non electrolyte. According to this definition we can say that NaOH since it disscoates completely would be a strong electrolyte. Newhich is an innert gas is a non electrolyte since it gives no ions in solution. NH3 in solution gives NH4+ and OH- which is a weak base and so is a weak electrolyte. as for BaNO3 it dissociates completely since its a soluble salt and that would be a strong electrolyte.
2. If we consider electrical conductivity we realize that it depends on the presence of ions since they would be like small charge carries or electron carries. then we can easily say that if our system has charged species then it can conduct electricty. Lets think about solid NACl, when in the solid form both atoms are packed in a crystal form sitting right next to each other and so their charges are balanced by each other and the total charge that is seen would be zero. and so NaCl solid is non conducting. Molten NaCl is taking the solid and heating it up to make it a liquid, but the charges ...
Solution provides full answers and explanations in paragraph form. 1000 words.