Review the textbook's discussion of emotional intelligence, which is sometimes also called EQ - a play on IQs. Reflect on the pros and cons of focusing learning specifically on the emotional. Post your insights.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 12:06 pm ad1c9bdddf
When we discuss emotional intelligence (EI), we have to consider the main elements involved. When people are adept at EI, they are able to understand their own emotions on a level that is deeper than what we would normally find in individuals that are not as adept in EI. The person that is able to effectively understand EI is able to use his/her accumulation of experiences and ...
This solution discusses the main pros and cons of using emotional intelligence in a learning environment.
Leadership & Emotional Intelligence in Managers
You're on your way to motivating your team from a group perspective, but you're still having trouble connecting with your team as individuals. Your mentor reminds you of the concept of emotional intelligence and how it can enhance your leadership capabilities.
To recap, the five components of emotional intelligence, as described by Daniel Goleman (1998) are explained in the following:
(1) Self-Awareness: The ability to recognize and understand personal moods and emotions. It includes self-confidence, realistic self-assessment, and a self-deprecating sense of humor.
(2) Self-Regulation: The ability to control or redirect disruptive impulses and moods and the propensity to suspend judgment and to think before acting. It includes trustworthiness and integrity, comfort with ambiguity, self control, and openness to change.
(3) Motivation: A passion to work for reasons that go beyond money and status. A tendency to pursue goals with energy and persistence. It includes a strong drive to achieve, optimism even in the face of failure, and organizational commitment.
(4) Empathy: The ability to understand the EMOTIONAL makeup of other people. It includes expertise in building and retaining talent, cross-cultural sensitivity, and service to clients and customers.
(5) Social Skills: Proficiency in managing relationships and building networks and an ability to find common ground and build rapport. It includes effectiveness in leading change, persuasiveness, and expertise in building and leading teams.
Write an e-mail to your mentor covering the following:
1. Evaluate your current or former manager on each of the five components of emotional intelligence. (This should be two paragraphs in length.)
2. How can you apply the principles of emotional intelligence to your current situation? (This should be two paragraphs in length.)
3. What can organizations do to help develop the emotional intelligence of their managers as well as other employees? (This should be two paragraphs in length.)
I need suggestions and ideas to get started. Thank you.View Full Posting Details