This posting examines the Civil Rights Movement in terms of conflicts.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 10:54 pm ad1c9bdddf
As you discuss this vast topic, please allow some of my ideas to help:
First of all, as you explore how pacifists in the Civil Rights Movement clashed with more radical elements, you might note how various church and black youth organizations supporting equal rights existed during this time. These pacifists such as Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) tried to achieve their goals using peaceful measures.
As you cite specific ...
This posting discusses the Civil Rights Movement.
Civil Rights Movement through a sociological lens
I have been studying the Civil Rights Movement for some time and the overall idea of the movement from the sociological perspective of institutionalism. I am curious about what kinds of institutions that had their own interests in mind so that they were acting in order to support their self-interests existed and played a role during this movement. I was wondering if you could answer the following questions for me so I am able to get a better understanding of the revolution based on this perspective?
1. What were the different types of institutions that played a role in the civil rights movement (media, state & political parties, etc.)?
2. How did these institutions contribute to the success or failure of the movement?
3. How does Barrington Moore's "American Civil War." Political Power and Social Theory 19 relate to the institutionalism that existed in the Civil Rights Movement?
4. How does Todd Gitlin's,"The Whole World Is Watching: Mass Media in the Making and Unmaking of the New Left" relate to the institutionalism that existed in the movement?
5. How is this movement a direct example of how institutionalism can have a large impact on social movement and social change?
6. How did institutionalism help the movement succeed or fail in this particular context?
Thank you so much for your help.View Full Posting Details