Based on the two branding cases listed below, address the following issues for MatsSoft and Apple:
(1) Briefly describe the branding and positioning strategies of Apple and MatsSoft.
(2) How would you describe the brand personalities of Apple and MatsSoft? Explain why you believe the personality represents each brand.
(3) What are the similarities between the two branding efforts? What are the differences?
(4) If you are a brand manager, what can you learn from these two cases?
Branding and Positioning Strategies of Apple
Branding Strategies of Apple
Apple uses not only its name but also sub-brands some of which are now power brands. Apple earlier adopted an umbrella branding strategy by using certain power brands such as Mac and i range of products. The company used brand extension strategy for the Mac brand initially wherein Mac brand was extended from its computers to consumer electronics and related software and the same brand extension strategy was applied by using the i-brand with launch of music player i-Pod and extending it to phone called i-Phone, cloud computing services through i-cloud etc (Marketing Minds, 2012: n.d). Although the company has used several brand extensions such as using Mac Lion OS X but now the company is going for individual brand name strategy as the operating system is now known as OS X and the company has used separate brand names such as Safari, Quick Time, Mighty Mouse and Airport Extreme (Marketing Minds, 2012: n.d). The company has also gone for line extension by upgrading and bringing new variants to its products such as iPod Touch and iPod Nano along with iPhone, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S that has to be introduced in the market.
Therefore the company has gone for:
- Brand Extensions with its Mac and i- brand to related product categories.
- Line extensions by launching variants of products like iPod and Mac.
- Multi-branding strategy or individual brand names such as Safari, Quick Time, Mighty Mouse and Airport Extreme.
Positioning Strategies of Apple
Apple has started positioning of its products based on the quality and reliability of its products and the company is positioning the Apple brand as a collection of its products and not a single product - iPhone or iPod (Burrows, 2013: June 11). The positioning is done on enhancing user experience and how its ecosystem of products makes consumer's lives simple and better (Burrows, 2013: June 11). This positioning strategy of user-friendliness and simplicity for consumers making their life better is in response to the competition from Android based phones taking away a large portion of the market share (Burrows, 2013: June 11).
Competition from Samsung and other Android based phones has led to Apple differentiate its products and position them on the basis of
- Lifestyle based positioning.
- Quality and reliability based positioning for its entire product portfolio.
Branding and Positioning Strategies of Matsoft
Branding Strategies of Matsoft
Matsoft is a B2B company and has used brand extension for extending its brand to four major products which it sells and these include Bespoke Solutions, Out-of-the-box solutions, SMS Bulk-Messaging and Pricing and License Model (Matsoft, 2013: n.d). Matsoft adopted a rebranding strategy to target new clients and increase the sales (B2B Marketing, 2012: July 17). Since the company provides Business-to-Business solutions to its target business customers and may face huge competition, it is important ...
The solution discusses products and brands.