Describe a scenario based on your personal experience that illustrates the similarities and differences between managerial and leadership skills.
The following is a suggested direction for this assignment. There is also a "sample" paper at the end.
Introduction (foundation leading up to your response):
1. Define manager and leader in your own words
2. Discuss some of the similarities between managers and leaders (use research to support your assertions; cite your sources)
3. Discuss some of the differences between managers and leaders (again, defend your assertions with research and citations)
4. What skills should a manager possess? What skills should a leader possess?
5. Discuss whether a manager can also be a leader and whether a leader can also be a manager.
"Describe a scenario based on your personal experience that illustrates the similarities and differences between managerial and leadership skills."
1. Choose a scenario from a place where you worked or volunteered.
2. Give some background on the scenario you have chosen, i.e.:
a) Did you volunteer or work there?
b) When did you work/volunteer there and for how long?
c) What was your level of responsibility at this location?
d) Did you have managers and leaders, or just managers? How many? Describe the chain of command and level of responsibility of each.
e) Would you describe your supervisor as a manager or leader? Why?
f) Using the sources you cited, would you say the managers/leaders at this location had managerial skills or leadership skills? Did they have a combination of both or did they have neither? Based on their job title, should they have had managerial skills? Support your response with specific situations from your experience.
Summary (your opinion):
You could elaborate on any of these questions as a summary for your paper if you ...
This 1116-word solution includes a step-by-step approach to completing this assignment that includes suggested scenarios and questions to encourage critical thinking in preparing your response. The solution also includes a sample essay to give the student an idea of how the completed assignment would look following the suggestions contained in the solution, as well as references and citations to provide the student with more information.