1) What challenges/opportunities have this company had to overcome/capitalize on?
2) What has made the company you have chosen successful today? Discuss value chain activities/improvements. Are they customer focused, quality focused, low-price leader focused?
3) Are the company?s business functions integrated?
4) What are the company?s future plans to ensure their success?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 7:58 am ad1c9bdddf
We at Brainmass are expected to provide you online teaching assistance only and not the complete solution. Therefore, please find attached herein certain facts and academic inputs that will help you in developing appropriate response to the questions. You can make the application of the concepts in reference to the facts provided herein and elaborate upon them. As a future manager, you have great capability to develop your own analytical abilities and build upon your solution elaborating on the facts with the use of references.
Hope this guidance works for you.
Guidance for Question 1
Challenges/Opportunities for Harley Davidson
The major challenges/opportunities for Harley Davidson are as follows:
1) Maintaining the existing customer base : Harley Davidson has been facing difficulties in maintaining its existing customer base as recently the Michigan State Police decided to replace their inferior Harleys to BMW motorcycles and found that the performance of BMW motorcycles was superior to Harley Davidson Motorcycles (Taylor, 2012: Oct. 3). Maintaining the existing base is important for the company as it focuses on its loyal set of customers popularly called Harley Owner?s Group (Taylor, 2012: Oct. 3).
2) Product Development : The company has to go for extensive product development and invest in R&D because it has lost its competitiveness on quality of the product due to which the customers are shifting . This is evident from the fact that the Harley Davidson bikes take 31 seconds to reach 100 miles per hour as compared to BMW bike which take 11 seconds to reach 100 miles per hour (Taylor, 2012: Oct. 3). Therefore, improving product quality is a challenge along with other challenge to reduce product development time by 30% (Taylor, 2012: Oct. 3).
3) Women segment to be tapped : A major challenge faced by Harley Davidson is to tap women segment (Taylor, 2012: Oct. 3) especially in the Indian market where women generally do not prefer riding a bike (Economic Times, 2011: July 29).
4) Expanding the motorcycle market in U.S : The motorcycle market in U.S is small with sale of only 3,46,331 bikes in third quarter ending September 2012 and the growth of the segment is just 1.3% (Madson, 2012: Nov. 5).
5) Competitive Threat : Harley Davidson has been facing a tough competition from established brands such as BMW and other players such as Polaris who has emerged as a formidable rival for the company in the heavyweight motorcycle segment (Trefis, 2012: Oct. 24).
6) Revitalizing its brand image to appeal to younger ...
The solution discusses the major challenges and opportunities faced by Harley-Davidson, guidance on how value chain activities have been improved and integration issues along with company's future plans to success.
Strategic Management of Harley Davidson's
If you had to report to the executives of Toyota corporation, how would you answer the following questions.
- What are Harley Davidson's Opportunities for moving forward in the competitive motorcycle manufacturing and sales environment?
- What threats does the company face?
- Consider the Lehman Trikes case study below. To what extend do you think the alliance between HD and Lehman Trikes presented an opportunity for HD? To what extent do you think this was an opportunity for Lehman? Make sure you support your arguments.