I need some help answering the following:
- What is a leadership style? What are the different styles of leadership and which one would you adopt if you were asked to lead a group?
- What are the steps involved in the problem-solving process? Can you think of any more activities that can be carried out in the problem-solving process that would help your group solve problems more easily?
What is a leadership style?
Different experts have different ways of defining "leadership style". Below are some quotations and their citations that you can use in your answer.
"Leadership style is the relatively consistent pattern of behavior that characterizes a leader" (Dubrin, 2001, p. 121)
"Leadership style is the style that a leader adopts in their dealings with those who follow them" (Kippenberger, 2002)
Leadership style as defined by Kets de Vries in (Kippenberger, 2002) is "the point of interaction between three things:
- the leader's character type - their values, attitudes, and beliefs, their position and experience;
- the followers' character types - their values, attitudes, and beliefs, their cohesiveness as a group;
- the situation - the nature of the task, the life-stage of the organization, its structure and culture, its industry, and the wider socio-economic and political environment."
So, as you can see, leadership style can be defined in many different ways, but the definitions seem to all have something in common: the way and individuals behaves toward those who are considered his/her followers. You can't be a leader without followers, and your leadership style refers to your attitudes, values and beliefs and how those impact your behavior toward others.
What are the different styles of ...