You work for Nike, a global company. You just learned that you were assigned to a virtual team whose mission is to assess the feasibility of Nike's making an inexpensive shoe that can be sold in Brazil. The team consists of twelve members. Three of the members work in the United States (two in Beaverton, Oregon, and one in New York City). Two work in England, two in China, two in India, and three in Brazil. All are Nike employees and all were born in the country in which they work. All speak English, though some speak it better than others.
Please answer the following questions:
* What challenges do you anticipate the team will face because of its multicultural makeup?
* How could these challenges be overcome?
* How would you compare the process of developing a virtual work team to developing a team of people who all work together in one place?
The challenges a multicultural team faces are many. There are time differences, lack of shared cultural knowledge, and differences in accepted behavior. But this is true in just assembling a team with some members from rural Beaverton with urban New Yorkers. The team will face challenges of understanding one another. It is not just the use of the English language but the finesse with which one is able to use it. A native speaker has more experience, naturally, and develops nuances of understanding the language that are different from those who have learned the language in class. Also, work habits are likely to be different. Each country has different social mores as to acceptable times of work, length of work day, and breaks. In China it is difficult to get anything done during Chinese New Year. Also, each member of the team may be driven by different ...
This solution outlines the challenges of working with a virtual team of multi-cultural members. It discusses how to overcome the challenges, and compares developing a virtual work team to developing a team of people located centrally. It includes examples and a link to more information. This solution is 550 words.
Proposal for Multicultural Management
Write a proposal for multicultural management in the virtual project setting.
- Identify the most critical issues faced by managers with regard to the topic
- Outline solutions to the issues you identify using theories and best practices presented international business subjects.
- Cite real-world examples (you may wish to focus on the issues and challenges faced by a particular organization, but should include more than one organization in your analysis)
- Consider any ethical implications of both the problems and the solutions that you identify.