The globalization of the world's economy has driven many organizations to create collaborative configurations in which teams of workers from multiple regions collaborate in synchronous and asynchronous settings. Such virtual teams are not, however, immune to the challenges of navigating cultural issues and work styles. Leadership must take into account not only geographic and time differences, but also interpersonal dynamics that may be culturally-derived.
Design a set of best practices for the leadership of cross-cultural, virtual teams. Consider the following questions in your design:
* What are the challenges posed by cultural diversity among team members? Pay particular attention to the ways in which cross-cultural teams are unique.
* How important is an understanding of the individual cultures represented on the team to successful team management? Should your best practices be culture-specific or apply to cross-cultural management in general? Cite specific examples in your analysis.
* What are the human resource considerations for designing cross-cultural and/or virtual teams? How are considerations for these two groups similar or different?
Today every business works globally that means it operates in a virtual environment. In this virtual environment, business is operated with the help of virtual team members. In Virtual team, team members come from different towns, countries and time zones (Pauleen, 2004). This paper will describe about the best practices for the leadership of cross culture that help in this virtual environment.
Challenges of Culture Diversity
For a virtual team, an organization considers that the members come from different regions for several reasons such as for merger and acquisitions, for acquiring human capital from the global area, etc. Differences in the regions, culture, languages, values, etc. create several challenges for team members, which are as below:
- Different perception and different understanding among team members about the appropriate team behavior creates several problems for leaders (Chryssochoou, 2004).
- It is necessary to focus on relationships before assigning any tasks to the team members due to the difference in culture.
- Communication barriers among team members (Chryssochoou, 2004).
- It is also a challenge for team members that they align their individual goal with the organization's goals.
If an organization pays ...
The solution gives paragraph answers to these questions centered around success in a culturally diverse team, helping the reader to design a set of best leadership practices for such a team. 749 words with 4 references.