The Tall Pines Hotel, a four-star resort hotel in California, needs assistance with staffing the company's newest property. Thanks to earlier efforts at creating an expert recruiting strategy, Tall Pines now has nearly 1000 applicants for the 370 available positions. Since you have clearly demonstrated your HR acumen, the company is interested in having you assist in designing a selection system for three of the primary positions at the hotel. Tall Pines' management has learned that structured interviews yield more reliable and valid information and result in fewer mistakes during the hiring process. As a result, Tall Pines would like you to use the basic job description information listed below to create two structured interview questions for each of the three positions (six questions in total) listed below:
1) Hotel assistant managers - mainly responsible for running the front desk, greeting customers, and managing the hourly employees. Assistant managers are the "face" of the hotel to guests and are expected to provide superior customer service.
2) Cleaning crew members - responsible for cleaning rooms, laundering linens, and being friendly to guests of the hotel. Members of the cleaning crew are also expected to have high ethical standards as they will routinely be unsupervised and in close proximity to the personal property of the guests.
3) Concierge - provides information to guests on local attractions, including making reservations, booking tickets, and providing directions. The concierge is expected to be extremely knowledgeable of the local area and patient with guests.
Please type the structured interview questions for each of these positions in a separate document. Please include both a behavioral and a situational interview question for each position. For each of the assigned questions please include the sample question as well as a rating scale to guide the Tall Pines' interviewers.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com June 4, 2020, 1:39 am ad1c9bdddf
Hotel Assistant Managers
1. Tell me about a time you gave excellent customer service.
Well Qualified (5) Candidate provides a thorough response to the question. Candidate demonstrates a thorough understanding of customer service that is more than the position requires. Response is well thought out and well presented. Candidate's response is complete, addresses all aspects of the question.
Qualified: (4-2) Candidate provides an acceptable response to the question. Candidate's understanding of customer service is equal to or slightly less than the position requires. Response is not as thorough as the well-qualified candidate, but is overall complete, and addresses the question.
Not Qualified (2-1) Candidate fails to provide an acceptable response to question is vague or incomplete and demonstrates a lack of experience/knowledge in customer service.
2. What would you do if you had a hotel guest needing service while at the same time there was a staffing issue in the dining room?
Well Qualified (5) Candidate provides a thorough response to the question. Candidate demonstrates a thorough understanding of prioritizing duties that is more than the position requires. Response is well thought out and well presented. Candidate's response is complete, addresses all aspects of the question.
Qualified: (4-2) Candidate provides an acceptable response to the ...
This solution gives two structured interview questions for the hotel assistant manager, cleaning crew members, and concierge positions at the Tall Pines Hotel. Both behavioral and a situational interview questions are included for each position, as well as a rating scale to guide the Tall Pines' interviewers. Helpful links are included.