Journal article analysis
Tapinos, E., Dyson, R. G., & Meadows, M. (2005) 'The impact of performance measurement in strategic planning', International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 54 (5), pp. 370-384.
1. The number of words more than 600 (the more the better)
2. Bullet points and highlighted viewpoints that I can work on (it is better to list page numbers that relate to the points)
3. Conclusion or summary
4. Real world examples if possible (or even a short one is fine)
5. Academic reference or journal article citation with list
6. Not too many citations from the original article
Question (all questions should be based on the article):
1. Evaluate the finding that performance management is one of the key success factors in strategic planning.
2. What effect do you think the size of the organization and the rate of change have on the effectiveness of performance measurement?
3. Support your argument with evidence from the study and other real examples where possible.
Performance measurement is one of the key success factors in strategic planning. The study carried out a factor analysis on forty-two independent variables. A four factor solution was found. The four factors produced were organizational direction, performance measurement, strategic initiatives and option, development and selection, and organizational uncertainty and flexibility. The factor analysis shows that performance measurement is one of the key success factors in strategic planning. Performance measurement was one of the four key factors characterizing a current trend in strategic planning. This supports the contention that the culture of measurement is embedded in modern management practice. Research has revealed that performance measurement has a significant influence in supporting the achievement of an organizational goal and effectiveness/efficiency of the strategic planning process. Real life example: I work for a company that makes molded plastic toys. With changes in the market for toys, my company has changed its strategic direction. When strategic objectives are to be set, the top management of my company uses performance measurement information to assess the strengths and weaknesses of different departments in my company. Performance measurement information is one of the key factors that affect the strategic direction and strategic objectives in the company where I work.
The effect of the size of the organization is that large ...
Importance of performance management in strategic planning is explained in a structured manner in this response. The answer includes references used.