Matching: Match the following conditions to their correct characteristics.
1. ___ pituitary dwarfism A. affected adults are proportionally similar to average-size people but larger.
2. ___ gigantism B. affected adults are proportionally similar to average-size people but much smaller.
3. ___ diabetes insipidus C. excessive secretion of dilute urine, causing life-threatening dehydration.
4. ___ acromegaly D. abnormal thickening of bone, cartilage, and other connective tissues in the jaws, feet, and hands.
Matching: Match the following hormone action to the corresponding gland/organ (gland/organ
may be used more than once).
1. ___elevates calcium levels in blood.
2. ___influences carbohydrate metabolism of insulin-secreting cells.
3. ___required in egg maturation and release; preparation of uterine lining for pregnancy and its
maintenance in pregnancy; influences growth and development; genital development;
maintains sexual traits.
4. ___promote protein breakdown and conversion to glucose in most cells.
5. ___lowers blood sugar level in muscle and adipose tissue.
6. ____required in sperm formation, genital development, and maintenance of sexual traits;
influences growth and development.
7. ___in most cells, regulates metabolism, plays roles in growth and development.
8. ___in the gonads, influences daily biorhythms and influences gonad development and
9. ___in liver, muscle, and adipose tissues; raises blood sugar level, fatty acids; increases heart
rate and force of contraction.
10. ___targets lymphocytes, has roles in immunity.
11. ___ raises blood sugar level.
12. ___ prepares, maintains uterine lining for pregnancy; stimulates breast development.
13. ___ in kidneys, promotes sodium reabsorption and control of salt-water balance.
14. ___ in smooth muscle cells of blood vessels, promotes constriction or dilation of blood
15. ___ in bone, lowers calcium levels in blood.
A. adrenal cortex
B. adrenal medulla
G. pancreas (alpha cells)
H. pancreas (beta cells)
I. pancreas (delta cells)
This solution provides assistance in a matching exercise on issues related to the concpet "endocrine."