Select two mammals, two insects, two birds, and two echinoderms to research.
List and briefly describe the eight species you have selected.
What are the characteristics that classify all the species you have selected in the Kingdom Animalia?
What are two or three characteristics shared by the two mammals you selected?
What are two or three differences between the two mammals? To what order does each of the mammal species you selected belong? Describe why they are classified. List two other species that belong to those same orders. The said questions are applied to the insects birds, and echinoderms.
o Mammals - Seals and Dogs
· What are two or three characteristics shared by the two mammals you selected?
The fact that mammals bear live young (placental), warm blooded, two sets of teeth in their life are a few of the characteristics that mammals share that you could mention in your paper.
· What are two or three differences between the two mammals?
Seals lack external ears, whereas dogs do have external ears. Seals forelimbs only make up twenty-five percent of the body's length. Dogs have significantly longer forelimbs. Seals use swimming and sliding as a method of locomotion, whereas dogs walk, although they can swim also. As far as bone/skull structure goes, seals do not have an alisphenoid canal, and dogs do have an alisphenoid canal.
· To what order does each of the mammal species you selected belong? Describe
why they are classified under that order. Seals are in the Carnivora order, and dogs are the Carnivora order as well. Dogs and seals are in the Carnivora order b/c of the belief that they descended from mammals in the Paleocene era from carnivores.
· List two other species that belong to those same orders
Mongooses, raccoons, cats and bears are all examples of other species you could you use in your paper that are also in the Carnivora order.
o Insects - Horn flies and Carrion Beetles
· What are two or three characteristics shared by the two ...
In about 860 words, biodiversity is explored and includes a discussion on animals from the four kingdoms. These species are compared among different levels.
Taxonomy, Plants & Animal Evolution (Tree of Life), Reflecting on Biodiversity
1. What is taxonomy?
2. Look at plants and animals. Select a plant and an animal and see how it evolved up the Tree of Life from the beginning of time to the present.
3. How did this species change over time? How did it start out and how did it evolve.
4. What were the factors in its 'branching' out?
5. How does this reflect the biodiversity of life over time?
6. How do plants, animals and fungi work together? Each has a purpose and provides something to the other.
7. What are three treasures or riches of the rainforest and what do they provide?
8. How do we safeguard this biodiversity?View Full Posting Details