The platypus and the spiny anteater are examples of which mammalian group?
Almost all invertebrate chordates are
c. filter feeders
Which of the following is not a characteristic chordate feature?
a. a pharynx
b. a notochord
c. a nerve cord
d. a pseudocoelom
Which of the following is not a subphyla of the phylum Chordata?
The duck-billed platypus
a. passes gametes, feces, and urine through the same duct
b. gives birth to live young
c. is found in Africa and Australia
d. is active primarily during the day
a. include the sharks and rays
b. were the earliest jawless fishes
c. became extinct during the Carboniferous period
d. gave rise to the amphibians
The invasion of the Great Lakes by ______ has decimated the lakes' trout populations.
The only living lobe-finned fish is the
The amphibians arose from ______ during the ______.
a. placoderms; Cambrian
b. lungfishes; Jurassic
c. lobe-finned fishes; Devonian
d. hagfishes; Silurian
a. have external fertilization
b. produce amniote eggs
c. gave rise to the amphibians
d. are the most diverse vertebrate group
a. have a cloaca
b. lay amniote eggs
c. have feathers
d. have a four-chambered heart
Which of the following is not a mammalian lineage?
a. the monotremes
b. the synapsids
c. the marsupials
d. the therians
Mammals did not arise until after the extinction of the dinosaurs.
The most species-rich vertebrate group are the
The vertebrate jaw first appeared in
Lungs evolved as outpouchings of the :
a. swim bladder
d. blood vessels
The caecilians are a small group of
The ______ can use their skin as a respiratory surface.
Reptiles resemble _____ in ______.
a. fish; not being able to leave the water
b. ostracoderms; lacking jaws
c. amphibians; relying on water for reproduction
d. birds; producing amniote eggs
The ______ gave rise to the mammals.
The platypus and spiny anteater (echidna) are included in the group monotremata (meaning they pass gametes, feces, and urine through one cloacal sphincter. Marsupials include kanagaroos and possoms. Placentals include all placental animals (eutheria). Hominids are of the hominidae family in the primate order.
Invertebrate chordates including the tunicates and sea squirts (Urochordata) and lancelets (Cephalochordata) are filter feeders.
Chordates: do have a pharynx or pharynx pouches, notochord, nerve cord, but have a TRUE coelom
Urochordata is a subphylum of chordata including sea squirts and tunicates. Hemichordata is a phylum including acorn worms. Cephalochordata is a subphyum of chordata including lancelets. Vertebrata is a subphylum of chordata.
Biology questions: bacteria, classification of life, human biology and reproduction, genetics
1. Which members of the bacteria are used to produce most of the antibiotics used in medicine today?
A) cyanobacteria B) actinomycetes C) spirochaetes D) archaebacteria
2. Bacterial cells that have spherical shapes are given the name
A) bacillus B) coccus C) spirillum D) none of these
3. A bacteria that has a cell wall composed of chemicals that readily absorb certain chemical lab dye and become stained are called
A) gram -positive bacetria B) gram-negative bacteria
C) archaebacteria D) none of these
4. What is the correct order for the taxons of life from most general to most specific?
A) kingdom, phylum, order, class, family, species, genus
B) phylum, kindom, class, order, genus, family, species
C) kindom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species
D) class, phylum, order, kingdom, family, genus, species
5. What two organisms listed below are the most closely related?
A) pan troglodyte and zea mays
B) zea mays and canis lupus
C) canis lupus and folis domestica
D) felis domestica and pan troglodyte
E) canis familiaris and canis lupus
6. What is a close estimate of the number of classified organisms on the planet?
A) 100, 000 B) 500, 00 C) 2 million D) 20 million
7. What binomial nomenclature name for human beings is written correctly below?
A) Homo Sapien B) homo Sapein C) Homo sapien D) Homo sapien
8. What is the normal genetic condition of a human zygote?
A) Monoploid B) Haploid C) Diploid D) A and B E) none of these
9. In humans, the process of fertilization normally takes place in what structure?
A) Vigina B) Oviduct C) Uterus D) Ovary
10. Each human gamete contains
A) The diploid number of chromosomes
B) 45 chromosomes
C) 23 chromosomes
D) 23 genes
11. True of false: Mendel's genetics are a form of blending inheritance
A) True B) False
Fill in the blanks for questions 12-17:
Possible answers for 11-16:
A. morphs B. recombinants C. pleiotrophy D. epistasis
E. locus F. address G. combination H. linkage group
I. alleles J. incomplete dominance K. codominance
12. Where a gene is found ___________________________________?
13. One gene interferes with or masks the effect of another gene ____________________
14. Genes that tend to stay together on a chromosome during meiosis_________________
15. Gene has multiple effets on phenotype as in Marfanss syndrome_________________
16.Genes for human blood types show this____________________________________
17. Genes for flower color in snapdragons and petunias are examples of this___________